Veeravalli S. Varadarajan
|Veeravalli S. Varadarajan|
|Alma mater||Presidency College, Madras|
|Doctoral advisor||C. R. Rao|
|Known for||Trombi–Varadarajan theorem|
|Notable awards||Onsager Medal|
Veeravalli S. Varadarajan (born May 1937) is a Indian mathematician at UCLA who has worked in many areas of mathematics, including Lie groups and their representations, quantum mechanics, differential equations, and supersymmetry.
Varadarajan received his undergraduate degree in 1957 from Presidency College, Madras and his doctorate in 1960 from the Indian Statistical Institute in Calcutta, under the supervision of C. R. Rao. He was one of the "famous four" (the others were R. Ranga Rao, K. R. Parthasarathy, and S. R. Srinivasa Varadhan ) in ISI during 1956-1963. After short periods at the Institute for Advanced Study and the University of Washington, Seattle he joined the Department of Mathematics at UCLA in 1965.
Varadarajan's early work, including his doctoral thesis, was in the area of probability theory. He then moved into representation theory where he has done some of his best known work. In the 1980s, he wrote a series of papers with Donald Babbitt on the theory of differential equations with irregular singularities. His latest work has been in supersymmetry.
He introduced Kostant–Parthasarathy–Ranga Rao–Varadarajan determinants along with Bertram Kostant, K. R. Parthasarathy and R. Ranga Rao in 1967, the Trombi–Varadarajan theorem in 1972 and the Enright–Varadarajan modules in 1975.
He was awarded the Onsager Medal in 1998 for his work. He was recognized along with 23 Indian and Indian American members "who have made outstanding contributions to the creation, exposition advancement, communication, and utilization of mathematics" by the Fellows of the American Mathematical Society in November 1, 2012.
- Varadarajan, V. S. (1984), Lie groups, Lie algebras, and their representations, Springer Verlag, ISBN 978-0387909691
- Varadarajan, Veeravalli S. Geometry of quantum theory. Springer Science+Business Media, 2007.
- Varadarajan, V. S. (1999), The selected works of V. S. Varadarajan, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-1068-2, MR 1647109
- Varadarajan, Veeravalli S. Supersymmetry for mathematicians: an introduction. Vol. 11. Amer Mathematical Society, 2004.
- Varadarajan, V. S. (1999), An Introduction to Harmonic Analysis on Semisimple Lie Groups, Cambridge University Press
- Kalyan Bidhan Sinha and B. V. Rajarama Bhat. "Veeravalli S. Varadarajan". Louisiana State University.
- K. R. Parthasarathy, R. Ranga Rao, and V. S. Varadarajan. "Representations of complex semi-simple Lie groups and Lie algebras." The Annals of Mathematics 85.3 (1967): 383-429
- Trombi, P. C., and V. S. Varadarajan. "Asymptotic behaviour of eigen functions on a semisimple Lie group: The discrete spectrum." Acta Mathematica 129.1 (1972): 237-280.
- Enright, Thomas J., and V. S. Varadarajan. "On an infinitesimal characterization of the discrete series." The Annals of Mathematics 102.1 (1975): 1-15.
- "American Mathematical Society Honors 23 Indians". Nov 1, 2012. India-West. Retrieved Dec 19, 2012.