|Availability||Netherlands and parts of Belgium|
|Founded||1 November 1925|
|Former names||Vereeniging van Arbeiders Radio Amateurs|
The Omroepvereniging VARA (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɔmrupfəˌreːnəɣɪŋ ˈvaːraː]), the VARA Broadcasting Association, is a Dutch public broadcasting association that operates within the framework of the Netherlands Public Broadcasting system (Dutch: Nederlandse Publieke Omroep). The association was founded in 1925 as the Vereeniging van Arbeiders Radio Amateurs (Association of Worker Radio Amateurs). The name was changed to Omroepvereniging VARA in 1957 and is no longer an acronym.
VARA originally focused on labour and socialism. In the era of Dutch pillarization the association had close links to the Social Democratic Workers Party and its successor, the Labour Party. For many years VARA's chairmen, such as Marcel van Dam and Andre Kloos, were prominent members of the party. Although the connection between the two organizations loosened, affinities remain—such as a large overlap between their respective support bases.
VARA adopted its current logo in 2002.
Some VARA television programmes are:
- De Film van Ome Willem, a children's comedy
- Kassa (1989–present)
- Kinderen geen bezwaar (2004–2013)
- Kinderen voor Kinderen (1980–present)
- De Nachtshow (1986–1987)
- Oppassen!!! (1991-2003), a comedy series
- Pauw & Witteman (2006-present), a live programme about current events, presented by Jeroen Pauw and Paul Witteman
- Sonja op dinsdag (1983–2006), a talk show hosted by Sonja Barend
- Unit 13 (1996–1998)
- De Wereld Draait Door (2005-present), a live programme about current events, hosted by Matthijs van Nieuwkerk
- Paul de Leeuw (various programmes)
- Pipo de Clown (various programmes)
VARA also broadcasts some localized programming, such as:
- Alfred J. Kwak, a Dutch-German-Japanese animated series
- The Smurfs, an Amero-Belgian animated series
- The word vereeniging is an antiquated spelling; today this word is spelled vereniging.
|This Netherlands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|