VASCO Data Security International
|Type||Public (NASDAQ: VDSI)|
|Industry||Software, Computer Security, Cryptography|
|Headquarters||Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
|Key people||T. Kendall Hunt (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$ 168.1 Million (2011)|
|Net income||US$ 24.3 Million (2011)|
|Total assets||US$ 168.9 Million (2011)|
|Total equity||US$ 135.8 Million (2011)|
VASCO Data Security International, Inc., is a US based company and was founded in 1991. The company's financial headquarters are based in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois and its operational headquarters are located in Zurich (Balsberg), Switzerland.
VASCO Data Security International is the result of the purchase of several companies, mainly ThumbScan, Inc. and the two Belgian companies, Lintel Security nv/sa and Digipass nv/sa. Its most notable product is also the DIGIPASS.
It engages through its subsidiaries, in the design, development, marketing, and support of hardware and software security systems that manage and secure access to information assets worldwide. It offers patented products for e-government, e-business and e-commerce, which enable secure financial transactions to be made over private enterprise networks and public networks, such as the Internet.
 Core Activities
 User authentication
Log-on access process that verifies if the user is in fact who he claims to be.
 Electronic signature
Secures a transaction or message between two known parties.
 Digital signature
Secures transactions or messages using PKI technology between two parties who don’t necessarily know each other, whereby the third party guarantees the identity of all parties involved.
1990 – Development of the first DIGIPASS
1992 – Foundation of the company Digipass nv/sa, with a capital of 2,750,000 BEF
- Kredietbank, Generale Bank and BBL become customers
- Generale Bank becomes the first large customer with an order of 20,000 DIGIPASS authentication devices
1993 – Rabobank becomes a VASCO customer
1996 – VASCO Data Security is formed as a result of a merger of Digiline/Digipass nv/sa, VASCO and Lintel Security
1997 – VASCO sells its first million of DIGIPASS authentication devices
1999 – VASCO acquires Intellisoft
2000 – VASCO opens expanded European headquarters in Wemmel (Belgium)
2001 – VASCO develops DIGIPASS 800
- Rabobank first DIGIPASS 800 customer
- VASCO starts tackling the corporate network access market
2002 – VASCO introduces a new management team
- Rabobank distributes 1,000,000 DIGIPASS 800 devices to its banking customers
2003 – VASCO launches DIGIPASS Authentication Server
- VASCO crosses the cape of 10 million DIGIPASS devices sold
2004 – VASCO opens office in Boston
- VASCO acquires AOS-Hagenuk (The Netherlands)
- VASCO has customers in 100 countries
2007 – VASCO’s customer base is composed of 6500 customers from which more than 1000 are banking and financial institutions
2008 – VASCO has 7100 customers from which more than 1000 are banks
- April – VASCO launches DIGIPASS 905 card readers for eID
- June – VASCO was nominated No.14 in BusinessWeek’s “Hot Growth Companies” top 50 and VASCO ranks 5th in FORTUNE Small Business’ Top 100 for fast growing smaller public businesses
- July – VASCO opens subsidiary in Mumbai (India)
- September – VASCO opens new Logistic centre in Mollem (Belgium)
- September – VASCO launches its Consulting Services Offering
- October – VASCO opens office in the Kingdom of Bahrain
- February – VASCO launches DIGIPASS as a Service
- September – VASCO announces the availability of multi-OTP technology
- December – VASCO launches DIGIPASS Nano, an ‘all inside the chip’ solution
- February – VASCO’s DIGIPASS Technology to be embedded into Intel® Identity Protection Technology (IPT)
- VASCO announces Acquisition of Alfa & Ariss (The Netherlands)
- VASCO’s DIGIPASS as a Service available for Google Apps™
- Dutch Subsidiary DigiNotar files for bankruptcy after a security breach
2012 – VASCO crosses the cape of 100 million DIGIPASS authenticators sold
- Official Website
- DIGIPASS for eID
- VASCO Data Security International, Inc. - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on VASCO Data Security International, Inc.
- Useful UK reseller website with information about products
- "VASCO DATA SECURITY - Annual Report - 2001 - page 17". vasco.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Murdock, Paul; John J. Ray (February 16, 2009). "Turbo Techs: 25 Hottest Tech Stocks". Forbes.
- "MYDIGIPASS.COM brings convenient security to consumers’ favorite websites". PR Newswire. April 23, 2012.