|Registration||Lexington Research Institute Limited, 501(c)3|
|Created by||Peter Brimelow|
|Alexa rank||93,357 (March 2014[update])|
VDARE.com, or VDARE, is a website that advocates for a moratorium on net immigration into the United States. The viewpoints on the site range from immigration reduction to discussions of race. The name VDARE refers to Virginia Dare, the first child born to English settlers in the New World.
VDARE.COM was established in 1999 in connection with the Center for American Unity, a Virginia based non-profit foundation started by Peter Brimelow. Brimelow served as the Center's first president but is no longer affiliated with the organization. When Brimelow left, he established the VDARE foundation in 2007, also known as Lexington Research Institute Limited, as a 501(c)3 charity to continue supporting VDARE.COM.
The name VDARE and the site's logo, the head of a white doe, refer to Virginia Dare, the first child born to English settlers in the New World; soon after her birth she disappeared with the rest of the early English settlement of Roanoke. In fiction, Virginia Dare was the main character in Sallie Southall Cotten's 1901 book The White Doe: The Fate of Virginia Dare. In the book, she is turned into a white doe by a Native American witch doctor after she rejects his advances.
- Peter Brimelow, founder of VDARE and a former editor at Forbes and National Review.
- John Derbyshire, author, columnist at Taki's Magazine, and former editor at National Review.
- Steve Sailer, a writer and movie critic for Taki's Magazine, known for his controversial articles on race, human biology, and gender issues.
- Chilton Williamson, an author and columnist who has written extensively about life in the American West.
- Sam Francis was a regular contributor until his death in 2005.
- Scott McConnell, a former contributor and editor.
Notable VDARE guest contributors include: Virginia Abernethy, George J. Borjas, Paul Gottfried, Kevin Michael Grace, Kevin B. MacDonald, J. Philippe Rushton, Jared Taylor, Paul Beliën, Sean Gabb, Robert Weissberg, R. J. Stove, Derek Turner, Kevin Lamb, Andrew Fraser and Ilana Mercer.
Controversy and criticism
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) called VDARE a hate group, that was "once a relatively mainstream anti-immigration page", but by 2003 became "a meeting place for many on the radical right". The group also criticized VDARE for publishing articles by white nationalists Jared Taylor and Sam Francis. It has been called "white nationalist" by the Rocky Mountain News, a charge denied by Brimelow.
In response, VDARE has published several articles attacking the SPLC. In 2006, in "Heidi Does Long Beach: The SPLC vs. Academic Freedom", Prof. Kevin B. MacDonald discussed the SPLC's so far unsuccessful campaign to try to get him fired from California State University, Long Beach.
VDARE columnist James Fulford says allegations of racism and hate are unavoidable since "the majority of Americans are white, and the majority of immigrants are non-white". Fulford lists others who he says have been accused of being racist by liberal organizations and argues that the groups' tactics hurt their own cause more than they are hurting genuine racism.
On September 5, 2003, VDARE contributor Thomas Allen commented in an online letter that VDARE.COM has carried articles "by Hispanics like George Borjas, American Indians, Filipina Americans, Japanese Americans etc".
Hurricane Katrina and IQ
Steve Sailer argued on VDARE following Hurricane Katrina that the lower average IQ of African-Americans found in intelligence research correlates with "poorer native judgment than members of better-educated groups resulting in the need for stricter moral guidance from society". He said that looting after the 1995 Kobe earthquake was minimal because "when you get down to it, Japanese aren't blacks".
John Podhoretz called Sailer's comments racist. Sailer responded that his accusers admitted a correlation between low IQ and poor judgment by supporting the Supreme Court's 2002 Atkins v. Virginia decision "that, in effect, banned the death penalty for killers with IQs under 70". John Derbyshire defended Sailer, citing large variance in incarceration rates by race and birth rates for unmarried women by race.
According to Peter Brimelow, Sailer's original article has been emailed out by readers (through the link to "email [this article] to a friend") at among the highest volumes seen by VDARE's articles. Sailer also responded to John Podhoretz in "Podhoretz, Junior vs. Steve Sailer", by quoting from a 1963 Commentary essay by Podhoretz's father, Norman, "My Negro Problem—and Ours", in which Norman Podhoretz made statements on black violence in character with Sailer's.
Notes and references
- "Vdare.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "Lexington Research Institute Limited in Litchfield, Connecticut (CT)". faqs.org. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Why VDARE.COM / The White Doe?". VDARE.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- HEAVEN’S DOOR AFTER A YEAR – George J. Borjas
- "Patrick J. Buchanan Articles". VDARE.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Archive of Paul Craig Roberts Articles at VDare.com Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Archive of Michelle Malkin Articles at VDare.com Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Coulter, Ann (July 10, 2013). "Zimmerman Trial Is This Year's Duke Lacrosse Case". VDARE. Retrieved July 11, 2013. "[James Fulford writes: Tonight we're starting to run Ann Coulter's syndicated column....]"
- VDARE Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- By Heidi Beirich and Mark Potok. "'Paleoconservatives' Decry Immigration | Southern Poverty Law Center". Splcenter.org. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Flynn, Kevin (Jul 15, 2006). "Funding questioned ; Critics say some Defend Colorado money tainted". Rocky Mountain News (Denver, Colo.). p. 4.A.
- Brimelow, Peter (July 23, 2006). "VDare.com is no 'white nationalist Web site'". Rocky Mountain News. p. 5.E.
- "05/30/01 – VDARE Endorsed by Southern Poverty Law Center! (Well, we regard it as an endorsement.)". Vdare.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "04/23/05 – The Speech That Launched An SPLC "Hate" Honor". VDARE.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "11/14/06 – Heidi Does Long Beach: The SPLC vs. Academic Freedom". VDARE.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "A VDARE.COM Contributor Worries About Smears; Peter Brimelow Reassures Him". VDARE.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "09/03/05 – Racial Reality And The New Orleans Nightmare". VDARE.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "The Corner on National Review Online". Corner.nationalreview.com. 2005-09-05. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Sailer, Steve (2005-09-06). "Steve Sailer's iSteve Blog: The Supreme Court on IQ and Judgment". Isteve.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2005-10-13. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "VDARE.com: Blog Articles » Sailer vs. JPod on NO Nightmare". Blog.vdare.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "07/17/05 – Podhoretz, Junior vs. Steve Sailer". VDARE.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.