||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (June 2010)|
The VF-19 Excalibur is a fictional spacecraft in the anime Macross. It is an Advanced Variable Fighter, the UN Spacy's latest frontline variable fighter to replace the already aging VF-11 Thunderbolt. In the year 2040, a contest was held for the design of the Advanced Variable Fighter. Two companies, Shinsei Industries and General Galaxy, joined the competitions. Shinsei's entry was the YF-19 Alpha One (the different code indicating a prototype) and General Galaxy's entry was the YF-21 Omega One variable fighter.
The VF-19 Excalibur is the production-line version of Shinsei Industries' YF-19 AVF Prototype which won the Project Super Nova design contest of 2040. Although destined to eventually replace the aging VF-11 Thunderbolt as the main variable fighter for the UN Spacy, distribution to date has been slow. Currently the Excalibur is being used as a fighter for UN Spacy colonization fleets. The rare VFs are usually only piloted by the best and brightest pilots, similar to the status enjoyed by the VF-17 Nightmare. The VF-19 will gradually phase out and replace the VF-11 as the main fighter of the UN Spacy.
Several design changes have taken place since the YF-19 was selected as the winner of Project Super Nova. The FF-2500E engines in the prototype were replaced with newer FF-2550J thermonuclear turbine engines that could provide 17% more thrust than the earlier versions, and the P&W HMM-6J thrusters were upgraded to P&W HMM-7 units for increased maneuverability. Other than these changes, the initial production VF-19A was essentially identical to the YF-19 prototype. Later, the VF-19F model was released by Shinsei which replaced the forward canard wings with an extra bank of maneuvering thrusters for better performance in space, and also redesigned the entire wing structure of the craft, replacing the long variable-forward-sweep wing with a shorter fixed-sweep one, for better space maneuverability (by keeping the ship's mass closer to center, a higher roll rate can be achieved). The wing lasers and GU-15 gun pod were kept as main weapons for the VF-19 (all versions). It can mount medium range missiles or two banks of 24 high-maneuverability mini-missiles that are more suited for close-range high-speed mecha combat. Finally, the entire head unit was redesigned on the VF-19F and S versions, and a group of four lasers were added to complement the single head-mounted pulse laser on the VF-19S model. The VF-19 is fully compatible with a fold booster and can execute individual folds like its prototype predecessor could. Several variant models have been produced by individual colony fleets to suit their particular needs, such as the VF-19S Custom (unofficially called the Fire Valkyrie) produced by the Macross 7 Colonization Fleet.
During the Protodeviln War, only one unit of 3 Excaliburs (two VF-19Fs and one VF-19S) were stationed on board the Macross 7. This unit, called Emerald Force, served as the vanguard of the Macross 7 defense forces during the latter half of the war and was part of the historic Operation Stargazer assault on the Protodeviln homeworld. Unfortunately two of the three fighters were destroyed during this operation, and the third one was damaged a short time later during the final battle of the war. During the Operation Orpheus mission to rescue the Milky Dolls from Zentradi forces one VF-19A was stationed aboard the Valhalla III carrier. The VF-19 Excalibur is proving to be a very able design and will continue to become the main variable fighter of the UN Spacy for the foreseeable future.
Another variant, the VF-19P, was stationed on the planet Zola. It was commandeered by Fire Bomber guitarist/vocalist Basara Nekki while battling a group of space whale poachers within the planet's orbit.
- Length: 18.62 meters
- Wingspan: 14.87 meters
- Height: 3.94 meters (fighter configuration) 15.48 m (battroid configuration)
- Weight (Empty): 8,750 kilograms (19,250 lb. or 9.625 tons) (Overload in Space): 46,102 kilograms (101,424 lb. or 50.71 tons)
- Maximum Speed: Mach 5.1 @ 22,000 meters
- Cruising Speed: Mach 1.8 @ 15,000 meters
- Rate of Climb to 5,000 meters: 65,000 meters per minute
- Powerplant: Shinsei/P&W/Royce FF2200B x 2, Shinnakasu/P&W/Royce FF2500E x 2
Weapon Systems 
(Most specifications are for the YF-19 prototype)
MAULER REB-30G ANTI-AIRCRAFT PULSE LASER: The YF-19 mounts a single pulse laser for use in air combat skirmishes and for defensive purposes.
ANTI-AIRCRAFT LASERS (4, VF-19S Only): The command version of the VF-19 is equipped with head lasers similar to those used on the old VF-1 Valkyrie for use in air combat skirmishes and other defensive purposes.
MAULER REB-23 LASER GUNS: Two semi-fixed laser guns are mounted in the wings of the YF-19, near the base of the wing where it connects to the main body. These lasers can be fired in any mode (the beams exit the hip-mounted wing units in soldier mode) but can only be aimed along the front arc of the mecha (max angle is about 45 degrees in any direction from the nose).
HOWARD GU-15 EXTERNAL GUN POD: The main weapon of the YF-19 is the GU-15 Gun Pod produced by Howard. The gun pod is mounted on a special hardpoint below the vehicle in fighter mode, and is hand-held in GERWALK and Battroid modes. Unlike the gun pods used by the original VF-1 Valkyrie, the GU-15 uses magazines instead of a self-contained supply in the barrel of the gun. Two spare magazines for the GU-15 are mounted on the back of the VF-19's bulletproof shield; replacing a magazine takes a few moments and can only be done in GERWALK or Battroid mode.
BIFORS ALL-ENVIRONMENT HIGH-MANEUVERABILITY MINI-MISSILE CLUSTERS: The legs of the YF-19 are equipped with two concealed missile launcher bays, that can each hold up to 24 high-maneuverability mini-missiles (VF-19) from Bifors in each bay.
BODY/WING HARD POINTS: Two fixed hard points are mounted on the fuselage of the VF-19, and an additional two hardpoints are mounted on each wing for a total of 6 hardpoints on the fighter.
Special features 
HOWARD PBS-03F PIN-POINT BARRIER SYSTEM: The YF-19 is equipped with a new mecha-scale pinpoint barrier system for defense. The system can generate a single pinpoint barrier that can be moved anywhere on the mecha and used as a shield against incoming attacks. Even if destroyed by combined attacks, the shield is capable of regenerating itself.
Environmental Cockpit The foot section of the VF-19 cockpit are replaced with LCD display, allowing the pilot to gain full 360 degree of view from top to bottom.
- Macross 7 DX 1/65 VF-19 Custom Fire Valkyrie (1995)
- The first toy replica of the VF-19 series to be released. Transforms into Fighter, Gerwalk and Battroid modes. Comes with an unassembled Speaker Gun Pod and sticker sheet.
- Over the years, this toy has been bootlegged by several manufacturers - not only as itself, but also as the VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie.
- Macross 7 DX 1/65 VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie (1995)
- Uses the same mold as the Fire Valkyrie, except with a different head sculpt and wings. Comes with unassembled Gun Pod and sticker sheet.
- Unlike the Fire Valkyrie, bootlegs of the Blazer Valkyrie are almost non-existent. Instead, bootleggers use the Fire Valkyrie mold (which has the incorrect head and wings) as their Blazer Valkyrie.
- Macross 7 DX 1/65 VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie Limited Edition (1996)
- This limited edition toy is painted in chrome silver and packaged in a plain, windowless box.
- Macross 7 1/100 VF Hi-Metal VF-19 Custom Fire Valkyrie (2010)
- A smaller-scale version of the VF-19 Custom Fire Valkyrie toy with more articulation and detail than its 1/65 scale predecessor. Parts made of plastic and diecast metal. Transforms into all three modes with minimal parts removal or swapping.
- The Sound Booster pack seen in the series is offered as a Tamashii Web exclusive. Tamashii Web also offers an additional accessory pack, which includes landing gear, extra hands, shoulder armor with the speakers open, gun pod joints and a custom Fire Bomber display stand.
- Macross 7 1/100 VF Hi-Metal VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie (2010)
- A remold of the VF Hi-Metal Fire Valkyrie figure in blue with a different head sculpt and wings minus the front canards. Features pop-out missile launchers on the legs.
- The landing gear for fighter mode is offered as a Tamashii Web exclusive.
Yamato Toys 
- Macross Plus 1/72 YF-19 (2000)
- Based on the 1/100 resin kit by Studio HalfEye, this diecast toy replica of the YF-19 marked the beginning of Yamato Toys' partnership with Big West, owners of the Macross franchise. Packaged with Gun Pod and sticker sheet. Despite its overall durability and playability, this toy suffered from a major design flaw known as "Tab B", a very fragile locking tab on the panel behind the canopy.
- A second version was released in 2001 with a redesigned and reinforced Tab B and its tail fins swapped to fold in the proper inward position.
- Macross VF-X2 1/72 VF-19A Excalibur (2002)
- A light blue repaint of the YF-19 ver. 2 with significant retooling changes. The knee armor was redesigned to cover the ratchet joints that were exposed on the YF-19. The peg on the back of the shield was relocated to close the gap between it and the head on Fighter mode. Though marketed for the video game Macross VF-X2, the VF-19A's color scheme does not follow that to its game counterpart.
- Macross Plus 1/60 YF-19 (2006)
- Unlike the 1/72 diecast version - which used Battroid mode as its design basis, this plastic YF-19 toy was designed around its Fighter mode. As a result, the 1/60 version is sleeker, more articulate and proportionally more accurate. Includes Gun Pod, Isamu Dyson figure, sticker sheet and adapters for Yamato's display stand (sold separately).
- A second release included the Fold Booster and FAST Pack Accessory Kit, as seen in episode 4 of Macross Plus. This release corrected a design flaw on the forearms, which had the Gun Pod mounted off-center in Fighter mode.
- This figure was reissued in mid-2010 with a special edition sticker sheet. In addition, the reissue features all of the design improvements made until the 2009 "Bird of Prey"/"Double Nuts" variants.
- Macross Plus 1/60 Fold Booster and FAST Pack Accessory Kit for YF-19 (2007)
- An add-on kit for the standard 1/60 YF-19. Comes with Fold Booster, shoulder armor, leg armor and rear seat with Yang Neumann figure. The Fold Booster, which requires three LR44 watch batteries to operate, emits various light effects. It also includes clamps to mount on the top of the YF-19's fighter mode and a separate display stand, and is also compatible with the 1/60 YF-21 (which comes supplied with the proper clamps). Unlike the FAST Packs of other Valkyrie figures, which use peg attachments, the YF-19's leg armor uses magnets to attach to the unit.
- Macross 1/60 25th Anniversary YF-19 (2007)
- To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Macross, Yamato released a limited edition YF-19 in a black and gold paint scheme.
- Macross Plus GN-U Dou YF-19 (2008)
- A non-transforming action figure of the YF-19 in Battroid mode. Features extensive poseability not found in any of its transformable counterparts.
- Yamato Toys released upgrade parts for the YF-19 figure in mid-2009. The set includes the FAST Pack (plus new shoulder and leg parts) and a redesigned torso frame for improved waist and hip articulation.
- Macross VF-X2 GN-U Dou VF-19A Excalibur (2008)
- A redeco of the GN-U Dou YF-19 figure in light blue with gray/green trim.
- Macross Plus 1/60 YF-19 "Bird of Prey" (2009)
- A repaint of the YF-19 in light gray with orange/black trim, inspired by line art in the book This is Animation Special: Macross Plus. According to the box description, Project Supernova resumed following the Sharon Apple incident; this prototype being the third test unit. Released to coincide with the 15th anniversary of the Macross Plus OVA series, this figure has been retooled for improved transformation and poseability.
- Macross Plus 1/60 YF-19 "Double Nuts" (2009)
- Released simultaneously with the "Bird of Prey" variant, this repaint in light gray with blue/black trim is designated as the fourth test unit of Project Supernova.
- Macross Plus 1/60 Fold Booster and FAST Pack Accessory Kit for YF-19 and YF-21 (2010)
- A reissue of the 2007 add-on kit with the addition of parts for the YF-21.
- Macross 7 1/60 VF-19 Custom Fire Valkyrie (2011)
- A new replica of Basara's Fire Valkyrie, based on the 1/60 YF-19 figure. Comes with a Basara Nekki pilot figure with guitar controller.
- Macross 7 1/60 Sound Booster for VF-19 Custom Fire Valkyrie (2011)
- An add-on set for the Fire Valkyrie that consists of the Sound Booster attachment.
- Macross 7 1/60 VF-19S Emerald Force Unit (2011)
- A blue remold of the VF-19 Custom Fire Valkyrie with a different head sculpt and wings minus the front canards. Comes with an Emerald Force pilot figure.
- Macross 7 1/60 VF-19F Emerald Force Unit (2012)
- A redeco of the VF-19S Emerald Force Unit with a different head sculpt. Comes with an Emerald Force pilot figure.
- Macross 7 1/60 VF-19P Zolan Patrol Unit (2012)
- A redeco and slight re-mold of the VF-19 Custom Fire Valkyrie with a different head sculpt. Comes with a Nekki Basara pilot figure with guitar controller.
- Revoltech Yamaguchi No. 053 YF-19 (2008)
- A non-transforming action figure of the YF-19 in Battroid mode from the Revoltech line. Designed and sculpted by Katsuhisa Yamaguchi. Unlike the Yamato GN-U Dou version, this figure displays a more anime-style look. Using Revoltech's proprietary revolving joint system, this figure is more poseable and comes with an array of accessories such as extra hands, FAST Pack Parts (which are not color-accurate), Pinpoint Barrier effect parts and a display stand. The Revoltech figure is made of flexible PVC plastic, as opposed to the hard ABS plastic used on the GNU-Dou.
- Macross Plus 1/144 YF-19 (2001)
- A non-transforming diecast replica of the YF-19 in Fighter mode. Measures at 13 cm (5 inches) long. Features variable geometry wings which can be swept forward or back.
- Macross VF-X2 1/144 VF-19A Excalibur (2002)
- A repaint of the YF-19 in light blue.
Model kits 
- Macross 7 1/100 VF-19 Kai Fire Valkyrie (1995)
- A snap-together kit that transforms to Fighter, Gerwalk and Battroid modes. Parts swapping is required for Battroid mode transformation. Molded primarily in red.
- A Special Coating version was released to coincide with the 15th anniversary of Macross in 1997. This release had its parts coated in metallic colors.
- Macross 7 1/100 VF-19S Valkyrie Emerald Force (1995)
- Similar to the VF-19 Kai Fire Valkyrie, but molded primarily in blue with different wing designs, as well as heads for VF-19F and VF-19S variants.
- Macross 7 1/144 VF-19 Kai Fire Valkyrie (1995)
- A non-transforming snap-together kit that includes the Fire Valkyrie in Fighter and Battroid modes.
- Macross Plus 1/72 YF-19 (2003)
- A non-transforming model kit of the YF-19 in Fighter mode. Requires glue and paint to assemble.
- Macross VF-X2 1/72 VF-19A "VF-X Ravens" (2006)
- A remold of the YF-19 model kit in light blue.
- Macross Plus 1/48 YF-19 (2009)
- A larger-scale version of the YF-19 fighter model kit.
- Macross Plus 1/48 VF-19A SVF-569 Lightnings (2010)
- A remold of the YF-19 kit in gray with a livery loosely inspired by the VF-33 Starfighters and VFA-27 Royal Maces squadron markings.
- Tanaka, Kazuki, ed. (1995-03-01). This is Animation Special: Macross Plus (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Shogakukan. pp. 76–78. ISBN 09-101581-6 Check
- HobbyLink Japan - 1/100 VF Hi-Metal VF-19 Kai Fire Valkyrie
- Yamato Toys - YF-19 Re-Release
- Yamato Toys - Macross Plus Upgrade Parts
- Yamato Toys - GN-U Dou VF-19A Excalibur
- Yamato Toys - 1/60 YF-19 "Bird of Prey"
- Yamato Toys - 1/60 YF-19 "Double Nuts"
- HobbyLink Japan - 1/48 VF-19A SVF-569 Lightnings