VH1 Storytellers (Ringo Starr album)
|Live album by Ringo Starr|
|Released||20 October 1998|
|Recorded||13 May 1998|
|Genre||Rock, Hard rock|
|Ringo Starr chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
VH1 Storytellers is a live album by Ringo Starr recorded and released for the popular music program in 1998. Unlike his previous live recordings, this release places Starr in an intimate environment where—as per the show's requirement—he tells the genesis of the songs being performed.
Recorded a month before the release of Starr's new studio album Vertical Man—and performed in promotion for it—VH1 Storytellers features Starr's contemporary musical collaborator Mark Hudson (who produced this set) and Starr's current band, dubbed "The Roundheads". Aside from songs that appeared on Vertical Man, much of the set is devoted to Starr's Beatles and early solo successes with Starr relating their stories in a relaxed, and sometimes humorous, fashion.
Release and reception
This marked the last time a Ringo Starr album was released on a pre-recorded cassette in the United States according to journalist Peter Palmiere. However, some countries in the Far East still issue cassettes of recent Ringo Starr material including Ringo Rama, Choose Love and Photograph: The Very Best of Ringo Starr.
Released by Mercury in the US on 20 October 1998,[nb 1] VH1 Storytellers stands as a unique release in Ringo Starr's recorded catalogue. Although it failed to chart anywhere, it was well-received critically.
Album Track listing
- "With a Little Help from My Friends" (Lennon–McCartney) – 4:18
- "It Don't Come Easy" (Richard Starkey) – 3:18
- "I Was Walkin'" (Starkey/Mark Hudson/Dean Grakal) – 4:21
- "Don't Pass Me By" (Starkey) – 5:40
- "Back Off Boogaloo" (Starkey) – 3:40
- "King of Broken Hearts" (Starkey/Hudson/Steve Dudas/Grakal) – 7:42
- "Octopus's Garden" (Starkey) – 2:51
- "Photograph" (Starkey/George Harrison) – 4:10
- "La De Da" (Starkey/Hudson/Dudas/Grakal) – 5:04
- "What in the... World" (Starkey/Hudson/Dudas/Grakal) – 5:31
- "Love Me Do" (Lennon–McCartney) – 3:42
- "With a Little Help from My Friends (Reprise)" (Lennon–McCartney) – 1:19
- "I've Got Blisters..." – 0:13 - Danny Solazzi from the Rock group The Characters asks: "At the end of "Helter Skelter," is it you or John who says they have blisters on their fingers?" Ringo: "It was me. I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!!!"
- "The End" – 0:03 - Ringo: "I do believe that is the end."
Live Track Listing
- "With a Little Help from My Friends" (Lennon–McCartney)
- "Back Off Boogaloo" (Starkey)
- "Don't Pass Me By" (Starkey)
- "It Don't Come Easy" (Starkey)
- "Octopus's Garden" (Starkey)
- "Photograph" (Starkey/Harrison)
- "La De Da" (Starkey/Mark Hudson/Steve Dudas/Dean Grakal)
- "King of Broken Hearts" (Starkey/Hudson/Dudas/Grakal)
- "Love Me Do" (Lennon–McCartney)
- "With a Little Help from My Friends (Reprise)" (Lennon–McCartney)
- Ringo Starr – drums, keyboards, vocals.
- Joe Walsh – guitar, vocals.
- Mark Hudson – guitars, mouth organ, vocals.
- Gary Burr – guitars, mandolin, vocals.
- Steve Dudas – guitar.
- Jack Blades – bass guitar, vocals.
- Jim Cox – keyboards, vocals.
- Scott Gordon – mouth organ.
- Simon Kirke – drums and percussion.
Sleeve art direction was by Margery Greenspan, design
- US Mercury 314 538 118-2