VICE emulating Commodore 64
|Stable release||2.4 / November 2, 2012|
|Operating system||Unix, MS-DOS, Win32, Mac OS X, OS/2, RISC OS, AmigaOS 4, AROS, MorphOS, QNX, BeOS, GP2X, Syllable|
|Available in||English, Danish, German, French, Hungarian, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, Turkish|
|License||GNU General Public License|
The software program VICE, standing for VersatIle Commodore Emulator, is a freeware and cross platform emulator for Commodore's 8-bit computers, running on Amiga, Unix, MS-DOS, Win32, Mac OS X, OS/2, Acorn RISC OS, QNX QNX, GP2X GP2X, Dingoo Dingoo A320, Syllable Syllable OS, and BeOS host machines. VICE is free software, released under the GNU General Public Licence.
It's also available for a variety of platforms: for instance VICE for Microsoft Windows (Win32) is known as WinVICE, the OS/2 variant is called Vice/2, and the emulator running on BeOS is called BeVICE.
As of version 2.1, released December 19, 2008, VICE emulates the Commodore 64, the C128, the VIC-20, the Plus/4, the C64 Direct-to-TV (with its additional video modes) and all the PET models including the CBM-II but excluding the 'non-standard' features of the SuperPET 9000. WinVICE supports digital joysticks via a parallel port driver, and, with a CatWeasel PCI card, is planned to perform hardware SID playback (requires optional SID chip installed in socket).
As of 2004, VICE was one of the most widely used emulators of the Commodore 8-bit microcomputers. It is also one of the few usable Commodore emulators to exist on free *NIX platforms, and one of the first to be distributed under GNU GPL. It is available for most Linux distributions.
- Simon Carless, Gaming hacks, O'Reilly Media, 2004, ISBN 0-596-00714-0, pp. 5–8
- Jason Kroll, Commodore 64 Game Emulation, Linux Journal, Issue 72, April 2000
- Carless, p. 5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VICE.|
- Official website , with Online manual (HTML)
- VICE knowledge base (preliminary)
- Guide for installation on Linux and Windows
- PRG Starter Simplifies VICE usage
- Windows binaries automated nightly builds
- Windows binaries inofficial nightly builds, also SDL and 64bit binaries available