VIT University, commonly called Vellore Institute of Technology or VIT is an Indian University. It has campuses both at Vellore and Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The university has been consistently placed in top 10 list of Indian colleges by leading magazines like India Today and The Week
VIT has consolidated its disciplines into nine "Schools of Study." Research centers are part of the schools, to encourage collaboration amongst the research and coursework areas and to provide opportunity for coursework students to participate in research projects. University organizes many industrial workshops like Automotive Engineering workshops which was organized by ParaMek Technologies in GraVitas Fest and similar other workshops. The University is among the first in India to implement the Fully Flexible Credit System (FFCS) which gives the students flexibility to make their own time tables by choosing the subjects and the respective faculties under whose guidance the want to study.This system has now been adopted by many other colleges as well
Teaching at VIT is structured around nine schools listed below. A student is registered in one of these schools according to his/her field of study.
- School of Computer Science & Engineering (SCSE)
- School of Bio Sciences & Technology (SBST)
- School of Information Technology & Engineering (SITE)
- School of Electrical Engineering (SELECT)
- School of Social Sciences & Languages (SSL)
- School of Advanced Sciences (SAS)
- School of Electronics Engineering (SENSE)
- School of Mechanical & Building Sciences (SMBS)
- VIT Business School (VITBS)
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), United Kingdom and the Energy Institute, United Kingdom have audited the teaching-learning processes at VIT and accredited the programmes in 2004, with the highest validity of five years.
- Programmes at VIT have been accredited by the NAB National Assessment and Accreditation Council and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) of the University Grants Commission (UGC) has accredited the university with a 'A'. However some of the programs offered by VIT are not accredited by such bodies.
- Programmes at VIT are accredited by the Institution of Engineers, India (IEI). The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) of the USA accredited the civil, mechanical, computer science, biomedical engineering, electronics & communication and electrical & electronics engineering programmes.
- VIT University was the first educational institution in India to be awarded International Organization for Standardization 9002 certificate for three years by the Det Norske Veritas (DNV) of Netherlands for management of the cultural festival 'Riviera' in 2011.
- VIT is the first educational institution to be honoured with the TVN-KIDAO-NIQR award instituted by the National Institute of Quality and Reliability (NIQR), for maintaining exceptional quality.
- The VIT university was the first to get ABET Accreditation for both mechanical and computer science department. The VIT University has also got ABET accreditation for its Electronics and Communication Engineering and Bio Technology since academic year 2012.
Vellore campus is divided in two by the Chennai–Bangalore railway line. The academic portion of the campus and the women's hostels are to the south of the railway tracks while the northern portion houses the men's hostels and the outdoor stadium. The campus has ATM facilities and the southern side also houses four major auditoriums along with two major food service areas.
University sporting facilities include an athletic track and field stadium, basketball courts, tennis courts, two swimming pools (one is Olympic sized), and a football ground. The campus is WiFi enabled. The campus has a good music scene and has a music room to encourage students to form bands and create music – everything from classical to heavy metal.
There are two main college fests conducted in VIT- graVITas and Riviera. GraVITas is a techfest (technology oriented festival) conducted in August/September. Riviera is a sports and cultural festival. According to Organizers for Riviera 2011 it pulls more than 300 participants from over 20 colleges and universities.Rivera 2013 was a bigger success. It saw popular names like Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy,Sukhwinder Singh,Chiyaan Vikram and many more. Further, GraVITas 2012 was a huge success. ParaMek Technologies from New Delhi conducted workshop on Automotive Engineering during the fest which was attended by more than 450 students.
The southern side of the campus houses six building complexes, that are designated women's hostels. The northern section of the campus houses fourteen building complexes that form the men's hostel.
It is located in Vellore city in India's southern state, Tamil Nadu, between Chennai and Bangalore. It is 130 km west of Chennai and 180 km east of Bengaluru [Bangalore]. The nearest airport is Chennai, (two and half hours drive).Vellore-katpadi Junction is the nearest railway station, just 3 km from VIT campus and accessible by train and road from Chennai and Bengaluru. Also it is just 5 km from Andhra Pradesh border and approximately 25 km from Chittoor
Chennai campus is present on the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road near Crisp IT Park opposite to Shasun Chemicals. The campus is known for its greenery and is also called as the Green Campus. It has an open air auditorium also called as amphi-theater along with which it has a well furnished library with variety of books available to students. The campus has ATM facilities along with major food spots as Gazebo, Nescafe Point and others.
University sporting facilities include an athletic track, basketball courts, tennis courts and a football ground. The campus is WiFi enabled. The campus also has a music room and a dance room to encourage students to form dance groups and create music, everything from classical to heavy metal.
It is located midway between Vandalur Zoo and Kelambakkam in South Chennai in the State of Tamil Nadu. It is 30 km away from Chennai International Airport and 42 km away from Chennai Central Junction. It is easily accessible by Metro Train and Deluxe Buses from both Chennai Airport and Central Railway Junction. The nearest Metro Station is Vadalur Zoo, which is 9 km from the campus. The campus can be reached by MTC Bus Route No. 555,517,515 from Tambaram bound for Tiruporur. From Vandalur Zoo, van services are also available.
- "VIT University - Ranking". Retrieved 2012.
- "VIT University - Schools of study". Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- "About VIT – Accreditation". vit.ac.in. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "VIT University - Accreditation". Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- "Pronto Networks Deploys Fully Secure Wi-Fi At VIT Campus". Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- "VIT University-Campus life". Retrieved 2009-09-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VIT University.|