|Owner(s)||Fiat Powertrain (100%)|
VM Motori was founded by two entrepreneurs, Claudio Vancini and Ugo Martelli (hence the "VM") in 1947.
VM merged with Stabilimenti Meccanici Triestini in Trieste in 1971, then Finmeccanica took a majority stake in the combined company.
Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) bought VM Motori in 1995.
In 2003, Penske Corporation purchased a 51% stake in VM Motori; in 2007, Penske bought the remaining 49% from DaimlerChrysler and subsequently sold 50% of it to General Motors. As of 2007, both deals were awaiting European regulatory approval and the value of the deal was not known.
January 11, 2011 Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera published news that Fiat S.p.A. is about to purchase 50% stake from Penske.
In 2011-02-11, Fiat Powertrain Technologies and Penske Corporation had reached an agreement under which Fiat Powertrain would purchase Penske Corporation's fifty-percent stake in VM Motori S.p.A.
Products and licensing
in 1947, the company produced the first Italian air-cooled diesel engine with direct injection.
In 1964 the company introduced entire new families of air-cooled diesel engines for fishing boats and the industrial machine markets.
1974 saw the introduction of a new series of high-speed (4200 rpm) HR, pre-combustion chamber, water-cooled, turbocharged engines.
During the 1980s British Leyland chose VM engines as the smoothest, most petrol-like units available for diesel models of their Range Rover and Rover SD1; the choice continued with the later Rover 800.
VM Motori's 2.8-litre common rail turbodiesel engine was chosen for the Jeep Liberty CRD. The 2005 and later Chrysler Grand Voyager and 2012 model year Chevrolet Colorado That sale in Thailand is also fitted with the VM 2.8-litre (R428) engine.
In 1999, a new three-cylinder 1.5-litre turbocharged diesel engine was developed by VM Motori. It featured a single overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder, and common rail direct fuel injection. It was licensed to the South Korean manufacturer Hyundai, and was used in the second generation of the Hyundai Accent, the Hyundai Getz and the Hyundai Matrix.
In 2004, GM Daewoo has licensed the 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre common rail engine designs, and built a dedicated engine plant, which started production 2006. The 2.0 L diesel is used in the Daewoo Winstorm (also badged as the Chevrolet Captiva and in the related Opel Antara), the Daewoo Lacetti (also badged as the Chevrolet Lacetti), the Daewoo Tosca (also badged as the Chevrolet Epica) and the Chevrolet Cruze.
The latest vehicle to benefit from a 2.5 L VM Motori diesel engine is the purpose-built LTI (London Taxis International) London style taxicab - the TX4 is the first of the TX range of taxis to include a VM Motori engine.
The company is also selling its products to off-highway applications, such as marine and defense. MTU Friedrichshafen, a German diesel engine manufacturer, holds the exclusive sales rights for VM Motori off-highway engines outside of Italy.
In June 2010 VM Motori started the production of the new 2.8L 4-cylinder Euro 5 engine to power the 2011 Jeep Wrangler, 2011 Jeep Cherokee and 2012 Lancia Voyager. The A428 has a maximum power of 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) and a torque of 460 N·m (340 lb·ft) at 1800 rpm. On the manual version of the Jeep Wrangler the A428 features the Stop/Start system to reduce the CO2 emissions.
In January 2011, VM Motori launched its brand new engine 3.0L V6. With 241 HP and 550 N·m (410 lb·ft) the A630 is among the best diesel engines in its class. As result of the collaboration with Fiat Powertrain Technologies the engine features the Multijet2 technology for improved performance, fuel economy and NVH. The first applications of the 3.0L V6 are the 2011 Grand Cherokee, the 2012 Lancia Thema and the 2014 Ram pickup.
- "GM to buy 50 Percent stake in VM Motori". italiaspeed.com. 2007-07-17.
- "GAZ acquires 50 percent stake in VM Motori". news.moneycentral.msn.com. Retrieved 2008-09-04.
- "GAZ withdraws the deal to buy 50% of engine maker VM Motori". RIA Novosti (in Russian). 2009-02-20. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "E Torino intanto investe nei motori diesel italiani della Vm". archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved 2011-01-15. (Italian)
- Fiat Powertrain Purchases Penske Corporations’s Fifty-Percent Stake in VM Motori - VM Motori to be co-owned by GM and Fiat Powertrain
- "11.02.2011 FIAT POWERTRAIN CONFIRMS ACQUISITION OF PENSKE'S HALF STAKE IN VM MOTORI". italiaspeed.com/2011. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- Italy's Fiat to take full control of VM Motori
- Fiat Group completes acquisition of VM Motori
- "A 315 SOHC - 1500 cc - 3 Cyl. - 12 Valve". VM Motori S.p.A. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "GM Daewoo and VM Motori Sign Long-Term Diesel Agreement". Auto Report. 10 March 2004. Retrieved 10 September 2013.