V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein
|V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein|
Cover design by Nigel Wingrove
|EP by Cradle of Filth|
|Released||22 April 1996|
|Recorded||Academy Music Studio, Dewsbury, England, December 1995–January 1996|
|Producer||Robert "Mags" Magoolagan|
|Cradle of Filth chronology|
|Chronicles of Chaos||8/10|
V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein is an EP by English extreme metal band Cradle of Filth, and the first release following their 1994 debut studio album The Principle of Evil Made Flesh. It was released on 22 April 1996, and was the band's final release for Cacophonous Records. It was hastily written and recorded for that label as a contractual obligation before the band jumped ship to Music for Nations. As such, it is the first of two albums recorded in 1996, the other being Dusk... and Her Embrace.
Despite the circumstances in which it was written and recorded, it has been well received by critics, and a handful of its tracks are staples of the band's live set to this day.
V Empire sees a step up in production from the band's debut and introduces the fast, highly technical instrumentation that would be the hallmark of the band's next few releases. It includes a re-recorded version of "The Forest Whispers My Name" from the band's first album, The Principle of Evil Made Flesh.
Half of the band was replaced for this recording, with Stuart Anstis replacing guitarists Paul Allender and Paul Ryan and Damien Gregori replacing keyboardsist Benjamin Ryan. V Empire is the first recording to feature backing vocalist Sarah Jezebel Deva.
All the guitars on V Empire were performed by Anstis. The name "Jared Demeter" listed as a second guitarist in the linear notes included in the booklet of the EP is just a made up name to give the impression that there were two guitarists on the EP. Keith Appleton played keyboard on this album, despite Damien Gregori being credited among the members (the 2011 Back on Black vinyl re-release credits "all keyboards" to Appleton).
|1.||"Ebony Dressed for Sunset"||2:49|
|2.||"The Forest Whispers My Name"||4:41|
|3.||"Queen of Winter, Throned"||10:27|
|5.||"She Mourns a Lengthening Shadow" (instrumental)||3:42|
|6.||"The Rape and Ruin of Angels (Hosannas in Extremis)"||8:52|
Cradle of Filth
- Dani Filth – lead vocals
- Stuart Anstis – guitars
- Robin Graves – bass
- Damien Gregori – keyboards
- Nicholas Barker – drums
- Sarah Jezebel Deva - backing vocals
- Danielle Cneajna Cottington, Rachel – backing vocals
- Serba, John. "Vempire - Cradle of Filth : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- 9 June 1996. "CoC : Cradle of Filth - V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein : Review". Chronicles of Chaos. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Woodley, Laura (20 June 2012). "Cradle of Filth to Release Eight Album Reissues - Cradle of Filth". theorderofthedragon.com. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein at AllMusic
- V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein at Discogs (list of releases)