|District||Dr Kenneth Kaunda|
|Municipality||City of Matlosana|
|• Total||6.15 km2 (2.37 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,800/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2001)|
|• Black African||94.8%|
|First languages (2001)|
The town is home to a large gold mining operation owned by AngloGold Ashanti, a company that was originally incorporated in 1944 under the name of Vaal Reefs Exploration and Mining Company Limited.
A mining accident on 10 May 1995 resulted in the death of 104 miners when a locomotive fell into a lift shaft, landing on the cage and causing it to plunge 1,500 feet (460 m) bottom of the shaft. It was history's worst ever elevator disaster.
- "Main Place Vaal Reefs". Census 2001.
- "Group information" (PDF). AngloGold Ashanti Limited. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "104 miners are crushed to death when an elevator carrying gold miners plunges to the bottom of a Vaal Reef mineshaft near Orkne". South African History Online. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Locomotive crushes 105 gold miners". The Independent. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- Vaal Reefs Tragedy Commemorated
|This North West Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|