Vadodara Innovation Council
|Type:||Extension of National Innovation Council, Govt. of India|
|Address:||Vadodara, Gujarat, India|
|Chairman Emeritus:||Dr Madhu Mehta |
|Vice President:||Dr Chaitanya S Buch|
|Vice President:||Paresh Parekh|
|Treasurer:||Kalpesh G Shah|
Vadodara Innovation Council (VIC) is the first city-based Innovation Council in India, associated with National Innovation Council. National Innovation Council was founded by internationally respected development thinker and policy maker Sam Pitroda. He had also served an Adviser to the Prime Minister of India on Public Information Infrastructure & Innovations and Chairman of National Knowledge Commission. Vadodara Innovation Council started functioning in May-2011 under the leadership of technocrat Dr. Madhu Mehta. VIC is aimed “To build Innovative, Curious and Questioning Society in Vadodara region”.
Because of conducting innovation workshop of 10,000 school students in a short span of 8 months, it got commendable recognition at national level. The model is to be replicated in 1,000 cities of India. In its first phase 31 schools including 11 municipal (government) schools were covered. The theme was 'Promoting Innovation Consciousness', conducted in English as well as in Gujarati.
Vadodara as an Innovative city
Tod Fod Jod Centre
It has started 'Tod Fod Jod Centre' (TFJC) for school students, being the second such initiative in India after Delhi. It's very unique initiative, where students Open the device, understand the different parts, its working principles, scientific & engineering concepts behind it and then assemble it. In its first phase, the students experimented with Ceiling fan, Computer, Clock, Bicycle and Telephone.
Promoting Innovative Projects in Colleges
It has also taken a new initiative to promote Engineering, MBA, Science, Pharmacy students to opt for Innovative projects as a part of their curriculum instead of conventional projects.
Schedule of VIC
The group of coordinators with volunteers have review meeting at 10.00 am on preferably 2nd Sundays of a month at Baroda High School, Alkapuri, Vadodara. They do have regular group level and committee level gatherings to execute the road map.
- Office Bearers of VIC
- Sam Pitroda is heading National Innovation Council
- Vadodara Industrialists respond to Sam Pitroda's call to set up an Innovation Council, DNA Newspaper, 23-May-2011
- VIC manual to be replicated in 1000 cities of the country, The Times of India, 21-Apr 2012
- Sam Pitroda urges 1000 cities to set up Innovation Councils, 22-Apr-2012
- Information Infrastructure and Innovations Portal talks about VIC
- Sam Pitroda launches the initiative for Vadodara, The Times of India, 17-Jun-2013
- Take a break from Textbook at Tod Fod Jod Centre, The Times of India, Jul 9, 2012
- Lesson on Learning Tod Fod Jod, The Indian Express, Oct 11, 2012
- Vadodara starts Tod Fod Jod, The Times of India, Jul 16, 2012