Location within Les Laurentides RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||June 27, 1922|
|• Mayor||Serge St-Hilaire|
|• Federal riding||Laurentides—Labelle|
|• Prov. riding||Bertrand|
|• Total||41.00 km2 (15.83 sq mi)|
|• Land||39.41 km2 (15.22 sq mi)|
|Elevation||309 m (1,014 ft)|
|• Density||70.3/km2 (182/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||0.6%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0T 2R0|
Route 117 / TCH
Val-Morin is located in the Laurentian Mountains, along the Rivière du Nord and on the shores of Lake Raymond at an elevation of 309 metres (1,014 ft), about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) south-east of Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts. Its territory includes numerous lakes such as La Salle, Lavallée, Bélair in the east, and Beauvais, Normand, and Valiquette in the west.
In 1852, the Morin Township was formed. It was named after its founder and 19th-century politician Augustin-Norbert Morin (1803-1865) who already had a huge farm of more than 3 square kilometres (1.2 sq mi) on the banks of the Rivière du Nord, built around 1850-1860 and included a home, saw mill, and flour mill. Morin was among the first residents and helped many settlers to settle here. In 1887, the Val-Morin Post Office opened, and in 1922, the Municipality of Val-Morin was established.
Originally farmers, residents of Val-Morin have turned to the development of Alpine ski resorts and outdoor activities in recent times.
- Population in 2011: 2772 (2006 to 2011 population change: 0.6%)
- Population in 2006: 2756
- Population in 2001: 2216
- Population in 1996: 2043
- Population in 1991: 1366
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1298 (total dwellings: 1963)
- English as first language: 6.5%
- French as first language: 91.1%
- English and French as first language: 0.4%
- Other as first language: 2.0%
- Reference number 64913 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Geographic code 78005 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- "(Code 2478005) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- "Val-Morin (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- "Morin-Heights (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census