||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
Bettin in 1963
August 1, 1923
La Crosse, Wisconsin,
|Agent||CESD Talent Agency|
|Spouse(s)||Hildy Bettin (1950–2007)
Val Bettin (born August 1, 1923) is an American voice actor, known for using an English accent in all of his roles. He is best known for voicing Dr. David Q. Dawson in The Great Mouse Detective and The Sultan in the 2 Aladdin sequels and the tv show after replacing Douglas Seale following the first film.
Early life and career
He was born Valentin Bettin in La Crosse, Wisconsin. In 1948, he went to England, to enter the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts and graduated in 1950. There he met his wife Hildy, and the two married that same year. They returned to the United States, in order for him to become a drama teacher in Iowa. He has been using a British accent in theatre, radio and TV roles since 1953.
He got his first film role in the movie Somewhere in Time, which was filmed in 1978-1979. He later became a voice actor, with his first role as Dr. David Q. Dawson in the 1986 Disney film The Great Mouse Detective. He has been credited in Shrek, Gargoyles and Mighty Ducks: The Animated Series. He voices Matt's grandfather Herbert in W.I.T.C.H.. He voiced the Sultan in the Aladdin TV series and sequels after Douglas Seale stepped down from the role.
His wife Hildy died in 2007 at the age of 83.
- The Great Mouse Detective - Dr. Dawson/Thug Guard
- The Return of Jafar - Sultan of Agrabah
- Aladdin (TV series) - Sultan
- Aladdin and the King of Thieves - Sultan
- Shrek - Bishop
- The Mork & Mindy / Laverne & Shirley / Fonz Hour - Additional Voices
- Hercules - King Tivius
- Gargoyles - Egon Pax
- Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles - Egon Pax
- Webster - Erwin
- Mighty Ducks - Sarks
- W.I.T.C.H. - Herbert Olsen
Video game roles
- Webster - Edwin
- American Masters - John Latrobe
- Entertaining Angels: The Dorothy Day Story - Mr. Breen
- Somewhere in Time - Director, in 1912
- Triplecross - Winslow
- Voices Within: The Lives of Truddi Chase - Playwright
- The Man Who Wasn't There - Monocle