Valentines Mansion is situated within Valentines Park in Ilford, Redbridge. It was built in 1696 for Lady Tillotson, the widow of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and remained a family house until Sarah Ingleby, its last inhabitant, died on 3 January 1906. It became the property of Ilford Borough Council and was used as council offices until 1994. It is owned by the London Borough of Redbridge and operated by Vision (Redbridge Culture and Leisure) Ltd, a local charitable Trust, on behalf of the Council.
It is a Grade II* listed building and was on the Buildings at Risk Register until 2009. It has undergone an extensive refurbishment financed by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the London Borough of Redbridge. The Mansion is set in an 18th-century formal garden.
The garden itself has a Grade II listing from English Heritage and has also been extensively restored.
Nearby Tube Stations
- Gants Hill is a five minute walk from the Mansion.
Nearby Mainline Railway Stations
- Ilford mainline station is a five minute bus ride from the Mansion.
- Valentines Mansion Website
- Events and more at Valentines Mansion Website
- Visiting information - London Borough of Redbridge
- Valentine Park Conservationists
- Mansion access details at English Heritage
|This article about a London building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|