|This article is outdated. (June 2014)|
|President of Abkhazia
1 June 2014 – 25 September 2014
|Prime Minister||Vladimir Delba (Acting)
Beslan Butba (Designate)
|Preceded by||Alexander Ankvab|
|Succeeded by||Raul Khadjimba|
26 August 1953 |
Bzyb, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Kuban State Agrarian University|
Valeri Bganba (born 26 August 1953) is the current Speaker of the People's Assembly of Abkhazia. He was elected as speaker on 3 April 2012. Bganba became acting President on 1 June 2014, following the resignation of Alexander Ankvab as a result of the 2014 Abkhazian political crisis.
In 1991, Valeri Bganba was elected to Abkhazia's Supreme Soviet. In 1998, and again in 2001, he was elected Chairman of the Gagra District Assembly. In December 2002 Bganba was appointed Governor of the Gagra District, succeeding Grigori Enik, who had been appointed Head of the State Customs Committee. On 25 May 2006, Bganba was released from office by President Sergei Bagapsh upon his own request, and succeeded by Astamur Ketsba.
In March 2007, Bganba once more became a member of the People's Assembly of Abkhazia when in the general election he won a second round victory in constituency no. 9. In the March 2012 elections, he was one of only five deputies to retain their seat, winning a 52.90% first round victory in constituency no.9 over his only opponent. During the first session of the 5th convocation of the People's Assembly on 3 April, Bganba was elected Speaker, defeating Raul Khajimba by 21 votes to 11. Bganba's predecessor as Speaker Nugzar Ashuba had failed to get re-elected.
- "Валерий Бганба избран спикером парламента Абхазии". Apsnypress. 3 April 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "Валерий Бганба избран Спикером Народного Собрания - Парламента Республики Абхазия V созыва". Apsnypress. 3 April 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "Бганба Валерий Рамшухович". Caucasian Knot. 24 April 2003. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Новые назначения в правительстве Абхазии. Caucasian Knot (in Russian). 18 December 2002. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Regnum.ru администрации Гагрского района Абхазии назначен Астамур Кецба, 26.05.2006
- "Новости из Абхазии". Apsnypress. February 2007. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Предварительные итоги выборов депутатов Народного Собрания - Парламента Республики Абхазия. Apsnypress (in Russian). 11 March 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
|President of Abkhazia
|This Abkhazian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|