|Los Angeles County, California.|
|• Total||2.014 sq mi (5.217 km2)|
|• Land||2.014 sq mi (5.217 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||348 ft (106 m)|
|• Density||11,000/sq mi (4,400/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1661610|
Valinda is a census-designated place (CDP) in the San Gabriel Valley, in Los Angeles County, California, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 22,822, up from 21,776 at the 2000 census.
Valinda is located at (34.037760, -117.928939).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), all land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Valinda had a population of 22,822. The population density was 11,330.9 people per square mile (4,374.9/km²). The racial makeup of Valinda was 11,058 (48.5%) White (7.0% Non-Hispanic White), 439 (1.9%) African American, 240 (1.1%) Native American, 2,718 (11.9%) Asian, 42 (0.2%) Pacific Islander, 7,530 (33.0%) from other races, and 795 (3.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 17,977 persons (78.8%).
The Census reported that 22,733 people (99.6% of the population) lived in households, 83 (0.4%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 6 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 4,927 households, out of which 2,852 (57.9%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 3,100 (62.9%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 814 (16.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 479 (9.7%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 243 (4.9%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 31 (0.6%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 375 households (7.6%) were made up of individuals and 183 (3.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.61. There were 4,393 families (89.2% of all households); the average family size was 4.63.
The population was spread out with 6,672 people (29.2%) under the age of 18, 2,651 people (11.6%) aged 18 to 24, 6,320 people (27.7%) aged 25 to 44, 5,191 people (22.7%) aged 45 to 64, and 1,988 people (8.7%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31.7 years. For every 100 females there were 100.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.1 males.
There were 5,071 housing units at an average density of 2,517.7 per square mile (972.1/km²), of which 3,755 (76.2%) were owner-occupied, and 1,172 (23.8%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.9%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.3%. 17,054 people (74.7% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 5,679 people (24.9%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,776 people, 4,753 households, and 4,258 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 10,830.8 inhabitants per square mile (4,183.0/km²). There were 4,851 housing units at an average density of 2,412.7 per square mile (931.8/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 40.47% White, 2.46% African American, 1.18% Native American, 9.42% Asian, 0.19% Pacific Islander, 41.08% from other races, and 5.19% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 74.72% of the population.
There were 4,753 households out of which 52.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.3% were married couples living together, 15.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.4% were non-families. 7.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.57 and the average family size was 4.64.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 34.3% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 17.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 98.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $49,578, and the median income for a family was $49,653. Males had a median income of $28,388 versus $25,330 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,949. About 10.5% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.0% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
In the state legislature Valinda is located in the 24th Senate District, represented by Democrat Gloria Romero, and in the 57th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Edward P. Hernandez. Federally, Valinda is located in California's 32nd and 38th congressional districts, which have Cook PVIs of D +17 and D +20 respectively and is represented by Democrats Judy Chu and Grace Napolitano respectively.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0681638.html. Missing or empty
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "Industry Station." Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- "Pomona Health Center." Los Angeles County Department of Health Services. Retrieved on March 27, 2010.