Vallam Kali (Malayalam: വള്ളംകളി, vaḷḷaṃ kaḷi, literally "boat game") is a traditional boat race in Kerala, India. It is a form of canoe racing, and uses paddled war canoes. It is mainly conducted during the season of the harvest festival Onam in autumn. Vallam Kali includes races of many kinds of paddled longboats, the traditional boats of Kerala.
The race of Chundan Vallam (snake boat) is the major event. Hence Vallam Kali is also known in English as Snake Boat Race and is a major tourist attraction. Other types of boats which do participate in various events in the race are Churulan Vallam, Iruttukuthy Vallam, Odi Vallam, Veppu Vallam (Vaipu Vallam), Vadakkanody Vallam, Kochu Vallam. The Nehru Trophy Boat Race is a popular Vallam Kali held in the Punnamada Lake near Alappuzha, Kerala, India.
The Vallamkali was first originated in Assyria, on a New Year day in BC.300. The history also reveals that, the Vallamkali (Boat Race) also took place in some other countries like The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Combodia, Bangkok, Burma, Britain etc. In ancient India the boat race was conducted by so many States.
In Kerala, in the beginning of the 14th century, there was a war occurred between Kayamkulam and Chembakasseri. During that time the king Chembakasseri Devanarayana had decided to build a suitable war boat called Chundan Vallam and he gave the responsibility to the famous “Thachan” (Carpenter) in that period. 
The technical methods about creating these Snake Boats have at least 650 years old. By considering the current snake boats, the "Parthasarathi" Chundan is the oldest one. Vallam Kali (or Vallamkali) literally means boat game (boat race) in Malayalam. It is the traditional boat (paddled longboat) race in Kerala. It is mainly conducted during the season of the harvest festival Onam in Autumn. Vallam Kali include races of many kinds of traditional boats (paddled longboat) of Kerala. The race of Chundan Vallam (snake boat) is the major event. Hence Vallam Kali is also known in English as Snake Boat Race and now in recent years has become a major tourist attraction.
"Vanchipattu" or Boatsong is the form of poetry in Malayalam language commonly using while Vallamkali and related festivals. During Aranmula Uthrattadi Vallamkali, the vanchipattu is performing by the participants as its significance in the rituals. Ramapurathu Warrier is considered to be the pioneer of the "Vanchipattu" or Boatsong.
The most renowned of these races
- Aranmula Uthrattadi Vallamkali at Aranmula, Pathanamthitta
- President's Trophy Boat Race in Ashtamudi lake, Kollam
- Nehru Trophy Boat Race in Punnamada Lake, Alappuzha
- Pampa Boat Race in Neerattupuram
- Kallada Boat Race in Kallada River, Kollam
- Thazhathangadi Boat Race (Kottayam Boat Race), Kottayam
- Champakulam Moolam Boat Race
- Payippad Jalotsavam, the oldest snake boat race
- Kumarakom Boat Race
- Gothuruth Boat Race since 1938,in river Periyar Ernakullam  
2012 winner is Sreeganesh Chundan
Other boat races in Kerala
- ATDC Boat Race, Alappuzha
- Rajiv Gandhi Boat Race, Pulinkunnu
- Neerettupuram Pampa Boat Race
- Karuvatta Boat Race
- Kavanattinkara Boat Race
- Kumarakom Arpookara Vanitha Jalamela
- Mahatma Boat Race, Mannar
- Thazhathangadi Boat Race, Kottayam
- Kottapuram Boat Race
- Kodungallur and Kumaranasan Smaraka Jalotsavam, Pallana
- Indira Gandhi Boat Race, in Kochi Lake
- Kaithappuzhakkayal(കൈതപ്പുഴക്കായല്) Boat Race, in Kaithappuzha Lake, Panangad/Kumbalam, Kochi.
- Kannetty Sree Narayana Boat Race,Karunagappally
- Biyyam Kaayal Boat Race, Ponnani
Boat races held outside Kerala
- Canadian Nehru Trophy Boat Race, Brampton, Canada, organized by Brampton Malayalee Samajam
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vallam Kali.|
- Dates of the various races and other useful traveller information
- Nehru Trophy Boat Race
- Google video of Vallamkalli
- Online game on Vallamkali at www.gamezindia.com
- Snake Boat Race
- Gothuruth Boat Race since 1938