Valley Christian High School (Chandler, Arizona)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
|Valley Christian High School|
|6900 W. Galveston Street
Chandler, Arizona, Maricopa, 85226
|Enrollment||305 (August 2013)|
|School color(s)||Royal Blue, Silver, and White|
Valley Christian High School is a private, Christian high school located in Chandler, Arizona, USA.
Valley Christian was founded in 1982 at Bethany Community Church in Tempe, Arizona to serve the East Valley, which at the time, had a lack of nondenominational Christian schools. Since its founding, it has grown and moved twice, first to another location in Tempe then to its current site in Chandler in 1996.
On average, more than 97% of graduates go on to attend college. In 2006 a special education program was implemented, known as V.I.N.E., and now has approximately 35 students. Valley Christian is one of the only Christian high schools in Arizona to have a full-time special education program.
Valley Christian offers Advanced Placement and college dual enrollment courses to students. These programs give upperclassmen the opportunity to acquire college credits while attending the high school. Additionally, the school is also accredited by the NCA and Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
Valley Christian High School is a member of the Arizona Interscholastic Association 2A Conference. Since becoming a full member of the AIA in 1987, the Trojans have won 61 Arizona State Championships, finished state runner-up 28 times and won 124 region and section championships.
The girls track & field program won a national record fifteen straight women's title under head coach Dan Kuiper. Kuiper has been named the National Track & Field Coach of the Year twice (2005; 2012) and is a member of the NHSCA High School Coaches Hall of Fame. Kuiper ranks third in the history of the State of Arizona for state championships won with 27 and has been named Arizona Coach of the Year 16 times.
The school has also won championships in women's basketball, volleyball, swimming & diving, cheer and cross country; and men's championships in basketball, cross country, football, swimming & diving, soccer, and golf.
Basketball coaches Greg Haagsma (Boys) and Scott Timmer (Girls) have combined for six state titles and nearly 900 career wins, all at Valley Christian High School. VCHS hired Jeff Rutledge in the Spring of 2013 to lead the Trojan football team. Rutlege played quarterback for the University of Alabama football national championship team under legendary head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and is a member of the Crimson Tide Hall of Fame.
Valley Christian was awarded the inaugural Blue Cross and Blue Shield “Directors Cup Award” in 2004, given to the Arizona high school that is rated highest in participation, sportsmanship and success in all athletic programs. It has also received the Donald F. Stone Award six times. This award is given to one 2A or 3A school who shows the highest overall excellence in interscholastic competition.
In 1996, the Valley Christian athletic program was named the #1 Women's High School Athletic Program in the nation by Athletic Management. It has also been a recipient of the Tony Komadina Award for Outstanding Girls' Athletic Program in Arizona. The 1999 volleyball team was ranked as high as #3 in the nation before finishing the season ranked #5. That team saw five girls play Division I volleyball, including four who signed for Arizona State University.
The school has had two student-athletes, two coaches and a team inducted into the Chandler Sports Hall of Fame. Track & Field coach Dan Kuiper, volleyball coach Deanna Anglin, the 1999 volleyball team, Courtney Blocher Landers and Kim Wigoldy Jasperse each have earned induction into the elite group.
The Trojans had 31 graduates play collegiate athletics in 2012-13, including nine at the NCAA Division I level. Of the nine, four were Pac-12 athletes.
- Alaina Bergsma '08, University of Oregon, NCAA and Pac-12 Volleyball Player of the Year, Team USA Volleyball, Miss Oregon USA
- Yasmeen Hormes '08, Singer and songwriter featured as one of MTV's Ones to Watch
- Shane Johannsen '07, Northern Arizona University Men's Basketball, NCAA D-I FG % Leader in 2009 and 2011
- Breanna Leslie '09, NAIA All-American and National Champion at Azusa Pacific University, Team USA Track & Field
- Dalen Linnerson '05, Member of PGA Tour Canada; Top-ranked NJCAA Golfer
- Kelsey Moore '08, UTEP volleyball, Miss Texas USA
- Chris O'Neil '01, Casa Grande, AZ City Judge
- Aria Ottmueller '14, Legally blind student-athlete who made national news for qualifying for the state track championships in the pole vault
- Isaac Remington '07, University of Oregon football and Philadelphia Eagles, Fiesta and Rose Bowl Champion
- Brian "Boomer" Roberts '04, Assistant Coach of Vanguard University Men's Basketball
- Laura Walsh, Country singer and Nashville recording artist
- "Tempe Prep ends Valley Christian girls' national-record track streak - East Valley Tribune: VarsityXtra". East Valley Tribune. 2011-05-15. Retrieved 2013-08-11.