Valley City State University
|Valley City State University|
|President||Tisa A. Mason|
|Location||Valley City, North Dakota, U.S.|
|Colors||Cardinal Red and Blue|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball (Men's and Women's), Football, Golf (Men's and Women's), Softball, Volleyball (Women's)|
|Affiliations||North Dakota University System|
Valley City State University (VCSU) is an institution of higher learning in Valley City, North Dakota, United States, part of the eleven-member North Dakota University System. Founded in 1890 as a territorial normal school, VCSU offers over 80 undergraduate programs in Business, Information Technology, Communication Arts, Social Science, Education, Psychology, Fine Arts, Health, Physical Education, Math, and Science. An online Master of Education degree program is also available.
Since 1996, VCSU has been a "laptop" campus by issuing laptop computers to full-time students. The cost of the laptops are part of the university's technology fee which also covers other educational technology enhancements such as campus-wide wireless network access and smart classrooms.
Valley City State athletic teams, nicknamed the Vikings, are part of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), primarily competing as an independent of the Association of Independent Institutions (AII). Valley City State will be a charter member of the North Star Athletic Association in the 2013-14 school year.
The Vikings competed in the now-defunct Dakota Athletic Conference (DAC) from 2000-01 to 2004-05, and the North Dakota College Athletic Conference (NDCAC) prior to 2000. Men's sports include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, and track and field; while women's sports include basketball, cross country, golf, softball, track and field and volleyball.
- Thomas Kleppe (1919–2007), former U.S. Representative from North Dakota and U.S. Secretary of the Interior
- Paul Fjelde - noted sculptor and professor
- Earl Pomeroy, U.S. Representative from North Dakota
- Gary Tharaldson, Founder of the Tharaldson Companies
- Carleton Opgaard, noted educator
- James D. Ployhar, noted composer and music educator
- "History of the University and Its Presidency". Valley City State University. Valley City State University. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- Valley City State University. "Fall Student Headcount by Type". Student Achievement Quick Facts. Valley City State University. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "About VCSU". Valley City State University. Valley City State University. Retrieved 17 February 2015.