Valley High School (Winchester, Nevada)
|Valley High School|
|2839 Burnham Avenue
Las Vegas, NV, 89169
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||We Are The Best!|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|Vice principal||Traci Kannon
|School colour(s)||Red and white
|Athletics conference||Sunrise 4A Region|
Valley High School (VHS) is a public school that also offers two widely recognized magnet programs: the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and Middle Years Programme; and the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism (AOHT) in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A, which is a part of the Clark County School District.
Valley High School opened in the fall of 1965.
Fight Song: Fight fight fight for the scarlet and white, and raise our banner to the sky. Fight fight fight until victory (is) in sight for dear old Valley High. Go go go we will conquer the foe. Every Viking true is here to do or die. Win win win root them on and root them in. Cheer for Valley, We're for Valley, Dear old Valley High.
Valley High School's athletic program is known as the Vikings and competes in the Northeast Division of the Sunrise 4A Region. Valley has historically had a prominent baseball program, producing Major Leaguers Mike Morgan, Matt DeWitt, Doug Mirabelli, Tyler Houston and Greg Maddux.
Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Championships
- Baseball - 1970, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989
- Basketball (Boys) - 1998
- Football - 1969, 1978
- Track and Field (Boys) - 2009
- Volleyball (Girls) - 1976, 1977
- Tennis (Boys) 1976
- Andre Agassi, former tennis player and philanthropist
- Shelley Berkley, congresswoman (D-NV)
- Matt DeWitt, baseball pitcher, currently unsigned
- Tyler Houston, former Major League Baseball infielder
- Greg Maddux, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Doug Mirabelli, former Major League Baseball catcher
- Mike Morgan, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Steve Rodriguez, former Major League Baseball infielder, and current head coach of the Pepperdine University baseball team
- Stevenson Sylvester, current NFL linebacker drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 5th round of the 2010 NFL draft (166th overall)
- Kerwynn Williams, current NFL running back
- "USA Men's Basketball: Who's In Your Five?" (English). The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- Burbank, Jeff (2008). Las Vegas Babylon: The True Tales of Glitter, Glamour, and Greed. M. Evans. p. 201. ISBN 9781461663089.
- Sun, Victoria (July 5, 2000). "Valley’s DeWitt gets long-awaited ‘Call’". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Braves trade LV’s Tyler Houston to Cubs". Las Vegas Sun. June 27, 1996. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Rogers, Phil (July 27, 2014). "Maddux, Thomas worthy of Hall's inner circle". MLB.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Guiremand, Steve (March 9, 1998). "Mirabelli hopes to catch on with San Francisco". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Klein, Gary (June 6, 1992). "Rodriguez Opens Eyes at Pepperdine : College World Series: Second baseman knows nothing about the school until recruited, then finds scenery to his liking". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Brewer, Ray (January 26, 2011). "Valley High grad realizes Super Bowl dream with Steelers". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Brewer, Ray (April 27, 2013). "He’s a Colt: Valley High grad Kerwynn Williams picked in 7th round by Indianapolis". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.