Valley View University
|Valley View University|
|Motto||Excellence, Integrity, Service|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Daniel Buor|
|Location||Oyibi, Accra, Greater Accra Region, Ghana|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
The Valley View University is a private university located in Oyibi, Accra in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana. It forms part of a worldwide system of over 100 tertiary institutions operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Valley View University was established in 1979 by the West African Union Mission of Seventh-day Adventists (now Ghana Union Conference). In 1997 it was absorbed into the Adventist university system operated by the West-Central Africa Division (WAD) with headquarters in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire. The Ghana Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists (organized in 2000) serves as the local manager of the university.
The university began as the Adventist Missionary College and was located in Bekwai-Ashanti. It was transferred to Adentan near Accra in 1983 where it operated in rented facilities until it was relocated to its present site near Oyibi (19 miles down Accra-Dodowa Road). In 1989 and was renamed Valley View College.
The Adventist Accrediting Association (AAA) has, since 1983, been evaluating and reviewing the accreditation status of the institution. In 1995, the university was affiliated to Griggs University in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. This allowed the university to offer four year bachelors degrees in Theology and Religious Studies. The National Accreditation Board (Ghana) granted it national accreditation in 1995 thus allowing the university to award her own degrees. Thus, Valley View University became the first private institution in Ghana to be granted national accreditation.
Valley View University has the singular distinction of being the first private university in Ghana to be granted a Charter. Valley View University received its Charter from President John Kufuor (President of Ghana), at a special function on 28 May 2006. A “Chartered” institution implies one that has been granted certain rights and privileges by the president or the legislature of Ghana. To obtain this legal status, the institute's statutes, examination procedures, quality assurance standards are subjected to parliamentary scrutiny.
Valley View University is accredited by the Accrediting Association of Adventist Schools, Colleges and Universities. Valley View University is therefore a member of a network of over 100 colleges and universities operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church worldwide. The university is also accredited by the National Accreditation Board of the Government of Ghana for the following programmes leading to a Bachelor's degree: Religious Studies, Theology, Business Administration, Education, Development Studies and Computer Science.
- Address: P.O Box AF 595 Adentan, Accra
- URL: vvu.edu.gh
Valley View University is also affiliated with Griggs University (GU) in distance learning. Under special arrangement with Griggs University, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, Valley View University offers four-year Distance Education degree programmes in Business Administration and Religious Studies.
Valley View University is also affiliated with the following universities:
- Bauhaus University, Weimar, Germany
- University of Applied Sciences, Augsburg, Germany
- University of Applied Science, Magdeburg, Germany
- University of Hohenheim, Germany
- Sahmyook University, South Korea
- Griggs University in Maryland, USA
Valley View University is a member of the following associations:
- West African Association of Theological Institutions (WAATI).
- Ghana Association of Private Tertiary Institutions (GAPTI).
- Conference of Heads of Private Universities, Ghana (CHPUG)
- "POST-SECONDARY INSTITUTIONS ACCREDITATION STATUS" (PDF). Department of Education Accreditation Status List Page 3. Seventh Day Adventist Church. Archived from the original on 21 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- "Valley View University - History". Official Website. Valley View University. 3 October 2006. Archived from the original on 20 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- National Accreditation Board
- Valley View University
- Ecological development of the Valley View University