Vampire High DVD cover.
|Created by||Garry Blye
|Country of origin||Canada
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Running time||25 mins.|
|Original airing||September 15, 2001 - May 4, 2002|
The show centered on a group of young vampires subjected to a daring experiment by the "Elders": taken in by a boarding school that also housed mortal teenagers, with the intent of civilizing the vampires. Many problems faced the students on both the day and night curriculum, including typical teen issues of love, friends and enemies. Professor Murdoch was on hand to help them along with their school work, but he too had problems that could put the lives of the teens in mortal danger.
During YTV airs episode fourteen, "Odd Man Out", the series made its debut in the USA on The WB Television Network on January 7, 2002 with the episode "Rules Are Rules", and ended on May 27, 2002 with the hour-long special, "Both Sides Now / Sunrise".
The opening title sequence featured Murdoch narrating the brief history of the experiment - "When The Great Eclipse plunged the world into darkness, the vampire race erupted in a civil war. The bloodthirsty 'Fury' battled the enlightened Elders for domination of the undead. In desperation, the Elders gathered up those young vampires that could be saved and entrusted them to me. To humanize them, to tame their instincts and teach them how to live among mortals."
Mansbridge Academy is a private boarding school, the last stop for troubled rich kids. The parents, not knowing what to do with the teens leave them at the secluded boarding school hoping for some resolution. But the main focus of the series is the school at night... five vampires; Drew, Karl, Essie, Marty and Merrill are also students at the school trying to become more civilized, from the instruction of Murdoch, the head teacher of Mansbridge Academy. Sent to the school by their Elders the vampires try to come to terms with the problems that occur.
When we begin at the start of the series, we are introduced to Sherry, a mortal female who feels lost and lonely in life. Not only does she crave love but she needs it to survive but can only seek comfort in her best friend Mimi. Knowing her boyfriend Nick is not the person she is destined to be with Sherry spends her time working, thinking and recording her thoughts on a Dictaphone.
As night falls we are introduced to many vampire characters. Karl, the sporty, troublesome teen and the youngest of the vampires who yearns to return to his life as a human; meek Merrill who is smart and wants to do well, and dreams of making Drew her soulmate; popular and beautiful Essie, a royal by birth, hides her emotions behind a vain and fashionable exterior; bad boy Marty who only joined the experiment for the endless supply of free blood; and Drew, dark and mysterious, he falls in love with mortal Sherry.
- Jeff Roop as Drew French, a dark, silent and mysterious vampire. He falls in love with a mortal, Sherry, who Drew believes is his "One", a vampiric term referring to one's soul mate. Drew has the power to see and hear things happening far away. When Sherry dies, Drew is deeply affected and almost returns to his predatory ways in the hopes that reclaiming his emotionless vampiric life will make the pain of losing Sherry go away. When this doesn't work, he plans to kill himself by sunlight but is confronted by Dillan who tells him that killing himself would only dishonor Sherry's memory.
- Meghan Ory as Sherry Woods, an unusual mortal girl who falls in love with a vampire, Drew. Right after Sherry finds out that Drew is a vampire, she develops appendicitis, her appendix bursting before an ambulance arrives. Drew attempts to turn her into a vampire to save her but before he can bite her, she dies.
- Ilona Elkin as Merrill Young, vampire. She initially appears timid and soft-spoken, but as the series progresses, it becomes apparent that Merrill is in fact conniving and often malevolent. She believes that Drew is her 'One,' and is deeply upset when he falls for Sherry. She later begins to develop an attraction to another vampire, Marty. Merrill has the power to read other people's minds and dream slide. Of all the vampires, she is the one most determined to succeed at the experiment.
- Paul Hopkins as Karl Todman, a young vampire who is easily led astray in the program, particularly by Marty. He looks up to Drew and Essie, and has a romantic relationship with Essie. Prior to becoming a vampire, he was a popular football player at his old high school, Renfield High, located a few miles from Mansbridge. As the youngest of the vampires, Karl is shown having the most trouble adapting to his situation, and often yearns for his old life.
- Karen Cliche as Essie Rachimova, glamorous vampire, and of royal lineage. She develops an awkward and turbulent relationship with Karl. Essie has the power of hypnotic suggestion, sometimes using this power to wipe the memories of people who accidentally witness the vampires' activities.
- Joris Jarsky as Marty Strickland, somewhat wayward and rebel-esque, Marty is noted for his humorous outlook on life and light-hearted nature. He becomes romantically interested in Merrill Young. Marty has the power to telekinetically move objects with his mind.
- David McIlwraith as Dr Reginald Murdoch, the enigmatic and mysterious leader of the group of vampires, and head of the school. It is not fully revealed exactly what he is, though there are hints he is neither human nor vampire.
- Marianne Farley as Dillan Vanderson, a late comer into the year at Mansbridge, Dillan has a strong personality which may cause more harm than good. It is revealed that Dillan is possessed by the spirit of a Huntress named Diana Valmont who fell in love with a vampire long ago. After the vampire killed her, she comes back in human form every year on the day she was killed to slay vampires who seduce mortal woman. She at first targets Drew to prevent him from killing Sherry but Drew insists that he will not kill Sherry because his love is pure. Afterwards, the Huntress releases Dillan from her possession and Dillan becomes friends with Sherry. After Sherry's death, it appears that Dillan will be the one to take her place as Drew's love interest. In the last episode, after seemingly recovering from an attack by Karl, Dillan says good bye to the other students for the summer, her eyes turning red when she comes close to Mimi's neck, indicating that she is not fully recovered from Karl's bite and may be turning into a vampire, though this is not explored further due to the cancellation of the series.
- Jodie Resther as Mimi Sperling, best friend to Sherry and later to Dillan after Sherry passes away. She is the daughter of a former rock star, and, like Sherry, hates being at Mansbridge. Unlike Sherry however, Mimi does acknowledge that she needs to be there. Mimi never realizes how close she becomes to being a victim of a vampire.
- Adam MacDonald as Nick McAllister, ex-boyfriend to Sherry, has a strong rivalry with Drew even though the two never meet.
- Patrick Thomas as Malcolm Frye, friend to Sherry and Mimi, bullied by Nick and a whiz on the computer. He was a classmate of Karl's at Renfield High, and causes trouble for the vampires after he posts an encounter with the deceased Karl on the internet.
- Daniel Pilon as Vakaal, part of the Elders who have control over the Mansbridge experiment.
- Wendii Fulford as Marianne Hackett, an agent of the Biomorphic Predatory Disease Agency (BPDA)
- Victoria Barkoff as Doctor
There are three DVDs for Vampire High that are currently available.
|DVD Title||Episode List|
|Vampire High- School's A Pain In The Neck||Episode 1: Rules Are Rules, Episode 2: There's a New Vampire in Town, Episode 3: In Your Dreams and Episode 4: A Grave Matter|
|Vampire High- Second Semester: High School Bites||Episode 5: Things That Go Vamp in the Night, Episode 6: That's Why the Lady Is a Vamp and Episode 7: Feeding Frenzy|
|Vampire High- Bites Back: They're Dying To Meet You!||Episode 8: What's Up Doc?, Episode 9: The Withering and Episode 10: Dads and Monsters|
Season 1, Episode 1: Rules Are Rules
Original Air Date: 15 September 2001
US airdate: 7 January 2002
A group of young vampires are brought to a boarding school so they can be integrated into human society. Drew, a vampire, forms a psychic bond with Sherry, a human.
Season 1, Episode 2: There's a New Vampire in Town
Original Air Date: 22 September 2001
US airdate: 14 January 2002
New vampire Marty joins the group and immediately starts breaking the rules.
Season 1, Episode 3: In Your Dreams
Original Air Date: 29 September 2001
US airdate: 21 January 2002
Sherry mistakenly believes that her old boyfriend is her secret admirer, and Drew attempts to contact her in her dreams.
Season 1, Episode 4: A Grave Matter
Original Air Date: 6 October 2001
US airdate: 28 January 2002
Karl becomes depressed and agitated, and is spotted by a former classmate who realizes he's supposed to be dead. Murdoch fends off a special investigator who's on the trail of vampires.
Season 1, Episode 5: Things That Go Vamp in the Night
Original Air Date: 13 October 2001
US airdate: 4 February 2002
Drew attempts to contact Sherry through her Ouija board, but Marty gets up to his old tricks.
Season 1, Episode 6: That's Why the Lady Is a Vamp
Original Air Date: 20 October 2001
US airdate: 11 February 2002
Merrill's maker shows up in response to a psychic call and wants to take her away from Mansbridge Academy.
Season 1, Episode 7: Feeding Frenzy
Original Air Date: 27 October 2001
US airdate: 18 February 2002
Murdoch tries to wean the students off of real blood, but when Essie and Marty go to town to test the experiment, something goes horribly wrong.
Season 1, Episode 8: What's Up, Doc?
Original Air Date: 3 November 2001
US airdate: 25 February 2002
The students become curious about Dr. Murdoch.
Season 1, Episode 9: The Withering
Original Air Date: 10 November 2001
US airdate: 4 March 2002
The withering, a period of vampire cellular regeneration, causes Essie to age at an alarming rate.
Season 1, Episode 10: Dads and Monsters
Original Air Date: 17 November 2001
US airdate: 11 March 2002
The Fury sends a monster to destroy the Experiment. Meanwhile, Sherry's dad visits the Mansbridge Academy.
Season 1, Episode 11: Rats
Original Air Date: 24 November 2001
US airdate: 18 March 2002
Drew gets jealous when Sherry falls for a new student. Meanwhile, Merrill searches for her lost pet rat.
Season 1, Episode 12: The Quivering
Original Air Date: 1 December 2001
US airdate: 25 March 2002
Merrill has a psychic premonition of her own death.
Season 1, Episode 13: The Summoning
Original Air Date: 8 December 2001
US airdate: 1 April 2002
Dr. Murdoch leads the night students in an ancient memory exercise that allows each one of the vampires to revisit the kill that they most regret.
Season 1, Episode 14: Odd Man Out
Original Air Date: 15 December 2001
US airdate: 8 April 2002
Marty puts a love spell on Essie, but it may endanger his life. Meanwhile, Merrill gives Drew a book about vampires finding love.
Season 1, Episode 15: The Test
Original Air Date: 16 February 2002
US airdate: 15 April 2002
When Drew flunks Murdoch's latest blood-lust test, he's more determined than ever to prove his teacher wrong, and decides to use Sherry as his own personal testing subject. Meanwhile, Sherry helps Mimi struggle with being accused of cheating on a test.
Season 1, Episode 16: Little Sister
Original Air Date: 23 February 2002
US airdate: 22 April 2002
Karl's little sister visits the Academy, looking for the spirit of her brother.
Season 1, Episode 17: Love's Labours Not Lost
Original Air Date: 2 March 2002
US airdate: 29 April 2002
When Dr. Murdoch experiences a haunting by a ghost, Merrill and Marty discover the only way to rid him of this being is by Merrill allowing the ghost to possess her and speak to Murdoch. Meanwhile, Karl helps Drew come to terms with his relationship with Sherry.
Season 1, Episode 18: The Huntress
Original Air Date: 9 March 2002
US airdate: 6 May 2002
An evil spirit, who is set on destroying any vampire to dare love a mortal, for she was killed by one, targets his wrath on Drew and his love for Sherry. Meanwhile, Merrill and Essie investigate the new Day School girl, Dillan, and try to determine what her story is.
Season 1, Episode 19: The Portrait
Original Air Date: 16 March 2002
US airdate: 13 May 2002
While pursuing their romance, Sherry convinces Drew to paint her portrait which leads to an unexpected side effect as well as the revelation of Drew's past - and true name.
Season 1, Episode 20: The Awakening
Original Air Date: 23 March 2002
US airdate: 20 May 2002
After being expelled from Mansbridge Academy, Drew reveals his true identity but before he can leave, mortal Sherry falls mysteriously ill and he considers turning her and taking her with him. Meanwhile, Merrill is distraught over Drew's expulsion and takes drastic measures, and Karl finds vampire laws that could save Drew.
Season 1, Episode 21: Both Sides Now
Original Air Date: 30 March 2002
US airdate: 27 May 2002
Merrill's repressed feelings begin to surface. Together with Dr. Murdoch, they must find out what those feelings are before she loses control. A student has been attacked in the library due to Dr. Murdoch's intervention the attack was broken off, but the assailant is unknown. Who could it have been? Merrill must find a way to accept her dark side; otherwise she could lose her fight to humanity.
Season 1, Episode 22: Sunrise
Original Air Date: 6 April 2002
US airdate: 27 May 2002
In the US series finale, A grief-stricken, embittered Drew embraces the dark side of his predatory nature and conjures up an ancient force to become all powerful, after the death of his beloved. Meanwhile, Dillan and Mimi meet and bond over Sherry's death.
Season 1, Episode 23: Lost Weekend
Original Air Date: 13 April 2002
During spring break, Marty and Merrill have the school to themselves, and together, they discover their blood supply is locked up. The unlikely duo goes through withdrawal while resisting the urge to feed off each other but temptation arises when a day student returns early - and alone.
Season 1, Episode 24: Breaking Up
Original Air Date: 20 April 2002
When Karl asks Essie to acknowledge their love in a formal Declaration ceremony, Essie falls sick with a mysterious illness that proves dangerous even to vampires.
Season 1, Episode 25: Blood Trip
Original Air Date: 27 April 2002
Evading government agents, a rogue vampire stumbles upon Mansbridge Academy and not only threatens the Experiment but selects Karl as the one she wants to turn to the dark side. Meanwhile, Dillan finds a speech written by Drew and becomes attracted to him.
Season 1, Episode 26: Vampire's Patient
Original Air Date: 4 May 2002
After day student Dillan is attacked by a suddenly crazed Karl, Drew must choose between saving her life or helping her face the prospect of becoming a vampire. Meanwhile, the search is on for Bridget, the rogue vampire, and if she is not found or Dillan is "turned", the Experiment is terminated.