The Killing Lights
|The Killing Lights|
The Killing Lights performing on Warped Tour in 2012 (then known as Vampires Everywhere!)
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Metalcore, heavy metal|
|Past members||David Hernandez
Adam Vex (Tour Member)
"Vampires Everywhere!" era
Vampires Everywhere! was founded in 2009 by Michael Orlando (a.k.a. Michael Vampire). The band's original name came from the movie "The Lost Boys." "Vampires Everywhere!" is a comic book in the movie that explains the rules of vampires and how to kill them.
On February 9, 2010, Vampires Everywhere! released their debut EP Lost in the Shadows. The first single and music video entitled “Immortal Love” was released exclusively on PureVolume on January 18, 2010. Together with director Scott Hanson who worked with A Day to Remember, Carnifex, A Skylit Drive and Alesana, Vampires Everywhere! produced a music video for their song Immortal Love which was shown at MTV 2 (Headbangers Ball), Heavy Rotation and Fuse On-Demand.
The group has toured through the USA and Canada several times with acts including Escape The Fate Brokencyde, Black Veil Brides, Eyes Set to Kill, Get Scared, Dr. Acula, Aiden, Alesana, Honor Bright, Our Last Night, Polkadot Cadaver and Modern Day Escape. They shared stage with X Japan and Murderdolls as the opener. They played a gig at SXSW 2010 with D.R.U.G.S., VersaEmerge and Black Veil Brides in Austin, Texas.
Their Single "Undead Heart" was released on November 29, 2010.
The debut album Kiss the Sun Goodbye followed on May 17, 2011, and was released worldwide via Hollywood Waste Records. Wil Francis (Aiden, William Control) was guest singer in the song Bleeding Rain. The Deluxe Version includes 3 Bonus tracks. Their second music video was directed by Fred Archambault who worked with Avenged Sevenfold and Deftones. Fans of the Post-hardcore genre voted the album negative at Sputnikmusic. The album ranked on Place 19th at the Billboard Top Hard Rock Albums and on Place 43 on Top Independent Albums (Billboard).
Since then Alex Rouge and David Darko have left the band to formed their own band called The Automatic Me.
In December 2011, they announced that they would be releasing a new album sometime in 2012.
The band announced that they will be playing the entire Vans Warped Tour (summer 2012).
On April 25, 2012 The Killing Lights bassist, Philip Kross, announced his departure from the band. Philip had tweeted earlier that day, "I love yoü all.... Please know I didn't quit on YOÜ I am still yoür family and stay tuned for my new project! I wish the Vamps luck❤"
Vampires Everywhere! soon found a replacement bassist for touring, Adam Vex.
The album, Hellbound & Heartless was released on June 19, 2012, presenting a drastical change from softer post-hardcore scream-style music to a heavier darker industrial metal with its typical distorted vocals.
In October 2012, the band embarked the road with Alesana, In Fear and Faith, and Glamour of the Kill, then joined Orgy and Davey Suicide on the "Wide Awake and Dead" Tour throughout March 2013.
"The Killing Lights" era
On November 10, 2013 The Killing Lights posted a message on Facebook stating the changing of the band's name.
I would like to personally welcome you to the new chapter in my life "The Killing Lights". As most of you know I was involved in a near fatal car accident many years back. I feel the name The Killing Lights properly represents my struggle with this tragic event & the new chapter in my music career. We will be entering the studio in 2014 to record our debut record on Century Media Records. CMR has been amazing with this transition & their positive energy towards the change has been awesome. We will be doing a UK Tour in Feb. to give a glimpse of what's to come. I have so much respect for my loyal VE fans over the years that have fought with us & stuck by us on every turn. I cannot wait for you to hear the new TKL music & see us live. Check back on Monday to hear a new demo. I love all of you & I'm excited for this next chapter in my life!
Michael V TKL
The band also announced a 2014 UK Tour to give a glimpse of what's to come.
After releasing two demos on Facebook and some minor touring, on August 14, The Killing Lights released a video, directed by Will Da Rosa, for "Lies Spread Like Fire", a new song from their upcoming EP.
The Killing Lights performed their first headlining show at Chain Reaction on October 4, where they played their EP in its entirety.
On October 21, The Killing Lights released a second single, "Until I Bleed", through Kerrang! around the same time pre-orders for their EP, The Killing Lights, went live, the EP was released on December 2, 2014.
A music video, directed by Brad Golowin, for "Until I Bleed" was planned for a November release, but was instead released on December 11, a tour in support of their EP is planned for next year.
The band hopes to work on a new album in 2015.
Musical style and influences
The band's sound spans several genres, including metalcore, post-hardcore, industrial metal, industrial rock, alternative metal, shock rock, gothic rock and horror punk. Their influences include Slipknot, Atreyu, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, The Black Dahlia Murder, Children of Bodom, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Death, Obituary, and Behemoth. Regarding the band's vampire themes, vocalist Michael Vampire has stated "We didn't get inspired by Twilight or True Blood at all. I love True Blood and own season 1, but all of our influences come from the classics. By classics I mean The Lost Boys, Nosferatu, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Bela Lugosi, Fright Night, and more."
|US Indie||US Hard Rock||US Heat|
|2011||Kiss the Sun Goodbye (as Vampires Everywhere!)||Hollywood Waste||43||19||4|
|2012||Hellbound and Heartless (as Vampires Everywhere!)||—||22||9|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
- 2010: Lost in the Shadows EP (as Vampires Everywhere!) (Century Media)
- 2010: Undead Heart Single (as Vampires Everywhere!) (Hollywood Waste, Digital only)
- 2012: Drug of Choice Single (as Vampires Everywhere!) (Hollywood Waste, Digital only)
- 2012: I Can't Breathe Single (as Vampires Everywhere!) (Hollywood Waste, Digital only)
- 2014: Lies Spread Like Fire Single
- 2014: Until I Bleed Single
- 2014: The Killing Lights EP
- Trendsetter Media and Marketing: MTV2: Vampires Everywhere!
- MTV 2 - Headbangers Ball: Immortal Love Official Video
- Bandprofil Vampires Everywhere! at Century Media (German/English)
- "''MUSICREVIEW:'' Vampires Everywhere! release Kiss the Sun Goodbye". Musicreview.co.za. 2011-05-19. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "''MUSICREVIEW:'' Vampires Everywhere! announce tour with Brokencyde". Musicreview.co.za. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "''MUSICREVIEW:'' Vampires Everywhere! announces tour with Murderdolls, Alesana, Honor Bright and Our Last Night". Musicreview.co.za. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Examiner - Tricia Weight Vampires Everywhere! releases new single Undead Heart from Kiss the Sun Goodbye retrieved on 27th October 2011, written 13th December 2010
- Alternative Press: Exclusive Stream Vampires Everywheres´ Bleeding Rain feat. William Control
- Blabbermouth: VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE!: 'Undead Heart' Released - May 15, 2011
- Sputnikmusic: Vampires Everywhere! - Kiss the Sun Goodbye
- Allmusic: Charts & Awards
- "''MUSICREVIEW:'' Vampires Everywhere! launch cover of Katy Perry´s Teenage Dream". Musicreview.co.za. 2011-03-25. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE! to Join ORGY on the "Wide Awake and Dead Tour" « News «". Puregrainaudio.com. 2013-02-05. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "Orgy, Vampires Everywhere and Davey Suicide Tour Announced (a top story)::Orgy News". antiMusic.com. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "The Killing Lights Premiere Lies Spread Like Fire Video - Kerrang!". Kerrang!.
- "This Saturday Oct. 4th @tklband We are playing... - The Killing Lights". Facebook. 2014-09-30. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- "The Killing Lights Debut New Single, Until I Bleed - Kerrang!". Kerrang!. 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- "News Article - Musicology Online". Musicology Online. 2014-10-22. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- "Vampires Everywhere! - Hellbound and Heartless Review". Chad Bowar. June 19, 2012.
- "Vampires Everywhere!... But On Stage". Metal Insider. 28 April 2011.
- "Vampires Everywhere! - Kiss the Sun Goodbye". Austin Williams. May 6, 2011.
- "Hellbound and Heartless - Vampires Everywhere! : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Review: Vampires Everywhere! - Hellbound and Heartless". Music Review. July 25, 2012.
- "Vampires Everywhere! announce Fall "Inked Music Tour" – Metal Riot". Metalriot.com. 2012-08-08. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Interview With Vampires Everywhere Vocalist Michael Vampire". Pure Grain Audio. Sep 13, 2012.
- "VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE! Confirmed For Vans Warped Tour 2012". Brave Words. Dec 14, 2011.
- "Spin Cycle: Vampires Everywhere! Hellbound and Heartless". Popblerd. July 1, 2012.
- "VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE!: New Audio Interview With MICHAEL VAMPIRE". Blabbermouth. July 29, 2011.
- "Vampires Everywhere!: Hellbound and Heartless". Sea of Tranquility. July 10, 2012.
- "AMP Magazine – Vampires Everywhere! – Interview with frontman Michael Vampire – By Jen Canipe". Ampmagazine.com. 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Vampires Everywhere! Guitarist Aaron Graves on His Background, Influences and Tone". Guitar World. 2011-06-28. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "Michael Vampire Interview - Vampires Everywhere Interview". Heavymetal.about.com. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- Charts & Awards, Allmusic, retrieved 2011-10-28
- Charts & Awards, Allmusic, retrieved 2014-09-01