Van Buren Charter Township, Michigan
|Van Buren Charter Township, Michigan|
|Wayne County and the state of Michigan|
|• Supervisor||Linda Combs|
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Land||33.9 sq mi (87.8 km2)|
|• Water||1.9 sq mi (4.9 km2)|
|Elevation||682 ft (208 m)|
|• Density||810/sq mi (310/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627189|
Van Buren Charter Township is a charter township of Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 28,821 at the 2010 census. It is home to Willow Run Airport, Metro Detroit's second busiest airport.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.8 square miles (93 km2), of which 33.9 square miles (88 km2) is land and 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), or 5.28%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 23,559 people, 9,867 households, and 6,117 families residing in the township. The population density was 694.9 per square mile (268.3/km²). There were 10,417 housing units at an average density of 307.3 per square mile (118.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 82.64% White, 12.03% African American, 0.54% Native American, 1.87% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 2.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.25% of the population.
There were 9,867 households out of which 29.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.5% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.0% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.9% under the age of 18, 11.0% from 18 to 24, 36.2% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 6.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 101.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $50,984, and the median income for a family was $60,561. Males had a median income of $44,867 versus $30,299 for females. The per capita income for the township was $24,820. About 4.4% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.5% of those under age 18 and 6.1% of those age 65 or over.
Auto parts maker Visteon is based in Van Buren Township.
Van Buren Township was designated township 3 S in range 8 E of Wayne County.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Van Buren Charter Township, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Van Buren charter township, Wayne County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "Michigan Airline Takes Flight!" USA Jet Airlines. March 31, 2009. Retrieved on July 18, 2010. "USA JET AIRLINES 2068 E Street Belleville, MI 48111."
- "Van Buren township, Wayne County, Michigan." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 18, 2010.