Van Buren Township, Shelby County, Ohio
|Van Buren Township, Shelby County, Ohio|
|— Township —|
|• Total||37.1 sq mi (96.0 km2)|
|• Land||37.0 sq mi (95.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||43.2/sq mi (16.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086970|
Van Buren Township is one of the fourteen townships of Shelby County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,599 people in the township, 1,424 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township, Auglaize County - north
- Pusheta Township, Auglaize County - northeast corner
- Dinsmore Township - east
- Franklin Township - southeast
- Turtle Creek Township - south
- McLean Township - southwest, east of Jackson Township
- Jackson Township, Auglaize County - southwest corner, west of McLean Township
- German Township, Auglaize County - west
- Saint Marys Township, Auglaize County - northwest
Name and history 
Van Buren township was organized on December 1, 1834. Its first families had only arrived a short time before: the first white child in the township's present boundaries was Charles Maurer, who was born in the fall of 1833.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Shelby County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Shelby County, Ohio With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia: R. Sutton, 1883, 231.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.