Van Nuys (train station)
Amtrak and Metrolink commuter rail station
Van Nuys train station looking eastward.
|Address||7724 Van Nuys Boulevard
Van Nuys, CA 91405
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Owned by||State of California|
|Passengers (2013)||75,762 2.8% (Amtrak)|
The station is served by Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner from San Luis Obispo to San Diego, Amtrak's Coast Starlight from Los Angeles Union Station to Seattle, Washington, and Metrolink's Ventura County Line from Los Angeles Union Station to East Ventura. Ten Pacific Surfliner trains serve the station daily and 20 Metrolink trains serve the station each weekday. The Coast Starlight operates one train daily in each direction.
The modern glass-and-concrete Van Nuys station, designed by LPA Architects, opened on December 18, 1995. A joint project of Caltrans and Amtrak, funding was provided by Caltrans with Amtrak providing construction management. Improvements for Metrolink commuters were funded by Caltrans and the city of Los Angeles.
Of the 74 California stations served by Amtrak, Van Nuys was the 29th busiest in FY2012, boarding or detraining an average of 202 passengers daily.
Platforms and tracks
|Side track||■Track to rail yard||No passenger service|
|Bypass track||■Freight/Bypass track||No passenger service|
|Main platform||■Coast Starlight||toward Seattle (Simi Valley)|
|■Coast Starlight||toward Los Angeles (Burbank–Bob Hope Airport)|
|■Pacific Surfliner||toward San Luis Obispo (Chatsworth)|
|■Pacific Surfliner||toward San Diego-Union Station (Burbank–Bob Hope Airport)|
|■Ventura County Line||toward East Ventura (Northridge)|
|■Ventura County Line||toward L.A. Union Station (Burbank–Bob Hope Airport)|
There are two tracks at this station (not including the third, side track that leads into the nearby train yard), but only one platform, which means only one of the two tracks can be used. As a result trains have to stop and wait outside of the station for that platform to be cleared by trains that are already there, which increases travel times.
- Line 169 (Saticoy Street/Sunland Boulevard): Bus Stop is on Van Nuys Boulevard/Keswick Street. Monday thru Friday service only
- Line 233 (Van Nuys Boulevard): Bus Stop is on Van Nuys Boulevard at Keswick Street. Daily Service
- Line 656 (Highland Avenue/Vineland Avenue/Burbank Boulevard/Van Nuys Boulevard Owl Service): Bus stop is on Van Nuys Boulevard at Keswick Street. Daily Nightly Service
- Line 761 (Van Nuys Boulevard/Sepulveda Boulevard Rapid Service - Pacioma-UCLA/Westwood). Daily Service
- Panorama City/Van Nuys Civic Center Route. (Bus Stop is in the south end of the Parking Lot. Daily Service).
- Amtrak – Stations – Van Nuys, CA
- Metrolink – Van Nuys
- Van Nuys Amtrak-Metrolink Station(USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)
- Van Nuys (VNC)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)