Vancouver Film School
|Vancouver Film School|
|Location||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Website||Vancouver Film School|
Vancouver Film School (VFS) is a private entertainment arts school located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1987, it has achieved international recognition. The Vancouver Film School has campus locations around Downtown Vancouver and comprises six buildings. As part of the school's 20th anniversary in 2007, in August 2006 one million dollars was set aside in scholarships for new students. In March, 2008, Vancouver Film School and YouTube launched a competition for three full-tuition scholarships for the creators of the three videos submitted and voted as favorites by the YouTube community.
VFS opened in January 1987 with a single class of six film students and has steadily expanded since. Recent milestones in the school's history include hosting the annual Game Design Expo in Vancouver, which began in January 2007, and partnering with YouTube to launch a 2008 scholarship competition for the creators of three videos submitted and voted upon by the YouTube community.
VFS offers one-year, hands-on production programs, including Film Production, 3D Animation & Visual Effects, Classical Animation, Acting for Film & Television, Digital Design, Entertainment Business Management, Foundation Visual Art & Design, Game Design, Makeup Design for Film & Television, Sound Design for Visual Media, and Writing for Film & Television. The school also runs a four-month Acting Essentials course and a 6-month Digital Character Animation program.
- Stan Edmonds, Head of Makeup Design for Film & Television - Key Makeup Artist on The Butterfly Effect, Get Carter, and Scary Movie, and Makeup Department Head on I, Robot
- Michael S. Baser, Head of Writing for Film & Television - writer/producer whose credits include Good Times, Three's Company, The Jeffersons, and Maude (TV series)
- Marv Newland, Instructor - Animator of the 1969 short Bambi Meets Godzilla
- Mark Busse, Instructor - Founder & Managing Director of Industrial Brand, Founder & Host of CreativeMornings in Vancouver, author of "Design School Didn't Tell You..." column in Design Edge Magazine
- Magda Apanowicz – actor known for her roles as Andy Jensen on the TV series Kyle XY and Lacy Rand on Caprica
- Neill Blomkamp - Oscar nominated screenwriter and director of District 9
- Sara Canning - Series Regular, Seasons 1 & 2 on the television series The Vampire Diaries numerous film & television credits
- Jonathan Cherry - actor in House of the Dead, Final Destination 2 and many other television and film productions
- Colin Cunningham - actor in television and film on both sides of the border.
- Colin Davies - VFX Supervisor and partner and SPIN VFX in Toronto.
- David Gratton - Founder and CEO of digital agency Work At Play
- Hanna Hall - She is most known for her roles in Forrest Gump, The Virgin Suicides and the 2007 remake of Halloween.
- Neil Kopp - producer of Old Joy and director Gus Van Sant's 2007 film Paranoid Park for which Kopp won a 2008 Independent Spirit Award
- John G. Lenic – TV producer and production manager best known for his work on Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis, and Stargate Universe
- Alec McClymont - lead CGI artist and animator who shared a 2007 Primetime Emmy Award for Special Visual Effects - Series on Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series)
- Chad Moffitt - Academy Award–winning animator on The Lord of the Rings
- Lon Molnar - co-founder, CEO, and senior visual effects supervisor at Toronto-based visual effects studio Intelligent Creatures
- Scott Mosier - film producer, editor, and cameo actor who produced the Academy Award nominated documentary Salim Baba. He met Kevin Smith and cinematographer Dave Klein at VFS, and since graduating, the three have collaborated on the films in the View Askewniverse
- Andrew Overtoom - Animation Director on SpongeBob SquarePants, for which he was nominated for Emmy Awards in 2004 and 2007
- Kevin Smith - director of Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Jersey Girl and Clerks II; Smith dropped out in 1990 and was presented with an honorary diploma in 2005
- Dave Klein - cinematographer, best known for work with Kevin Smith
- Tara Spencer-Nairn - actor in Corner Gas
- Emilie Ullerup - actor in Sanctuary
- Seth Lochhead - writer of Hanna
- James Wootton - Co-Director of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- Jewel Staite - Canadian-born actress famous for her work on Joss Whedon's Firefly, and Stargate: Atlantis
- Anugrah Bohrey - writer of "Best of Luck (2012 film)" and Himmat Singh
- Clint Eland - Founder & President of Mercury Filmworks, Canada's largest privately owned animation production studio.
- Emily Bett Rickards - Actress and best known for her work on Arrow.
- Hands-on-Pages Interviews | Archives | MovieMaker Magazine
- Campuses - Life at Vancouver Film School
- Press Room - - This is Vancouver Film School
- P, Sara. "The Vancouver Film School/YouTube Scholarship Competition". Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- Shrimpton, James (August 17, 2007). "Vancouver: Welcome to Brollywood". News.com.au. Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- Boyer, Brandon (January 16, 2007). "GCG Feature: 'Event Wrap Up: Game Design Expo 2007'". Gamasutra.com. Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- Wood, Jennifer (February 3, 2007). "Film Education on a Global Scale". MovieMaker.com. Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- Neil Kopp
- Alec McClymont
- Chad Moffitt
- VFS Grad Wins Academy Award - Chad Moffitt is part of Peter Jackson's award-winning visual effects team for Lord of the Rings trilogy. - Digital Character Animation
- http://www.viewaskew.com/interviews/scott/index.html Interviews Askew
- movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1800020930/bio Kevin Smith Yahoo! Movies Bio
- The Georgia Straight: Too Cool for School?
- Vancouver Film School
- The Canadian Film Centre Website
- The Worldwide Short Film Festival Website
- GIFTS indie film school official site