Angel in 2009
|Born||Vanessa Madeline Angel
10 November 1966
|Spouse(s)||Rick Otto (m. 1996)|
Vanessa Madeline Angel (born 10 November 1966) is an English actress and former model. She played the role of Lisa on the television series Weird Science. She is also known for her role as Claudia in the film Kingpin.
Vanessa Angel, who has said this is her birth name and not a stage name, was discovered by a model-management agent in a London cafe as a teenager. At 16, she was signed by Ford Models and moved to New York City. During her modelling stint, Angel appeared on the covers of Vogue and Cosmopolitan. She was also contracted as the Diet Pepsi Girl.
Angel's first film role was in the 1985 American comedy, Spies Like Us, in which she played a soldier in the Soviet Strategic Missile Forces who sleeps with Dan Aykroyd; she also appears in the accompanying Paul McCartney video. In 1990, she appeared in a small role in the film King of New York. Angel continued to appear in films throughout the early 1990s. After a leading guest-spot on TV's The Equalizer, she played the recurring roles of Megan on Baywatch and Detective Peggy Elliott on Reasonable Doubts. She guest-starred in two episodes of Melrose Place, playing what she described as "this crazy, drugged out, bisexual supermodel who kissed [the character played by] Daphne Zuniga!"
In 1994, she starred in the television series Weird Science. The show ran for five seasons, ending in 1998. In 1995, Angel was cast in the role of Xena, a guest spot on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, but due to an illness was unable to take the role, which eventually went to Lucy Lawless.
During the series run of Weird Science, Angel landed the female lead in the Farrelly brothers film, Kingpin. She played roles in Kissing a Fool with David Schwimmer, followed by a role in the 1999 film, Made Men. In 2004, she appeared in SuperBabies: Baby Geniuses 2, as Scott Baio's wife. Angel has also had roles in the Sci-Fi Pictures Original telefilm Sabretooth (2002) and The Perfect Score (2004).
In 2000, she guest starred in three episodes of the Sci-Fi Channel's Stargate SG-1, playing Anise, a Tok'ra archaeologist/scientist whose host is named Freya. Her first appearance is in the season-four episode Upgrades, and she appeared in the two following episodes, Crossroads and Divide and Conquer. In 2005, Angel played herself in the season-two episode of Entourage entitled I Love You Too. In 2007, she completed the independent film Blind Ambition. and later appeared in the Farrellys' Hall Pass. She played a guest role as Alison in the fifth season of Californication.
Angel started a clothing line in 2009, VANE LA.
|1985||Spies Like Us||Russian Rocket Crewperson|
|1989||Another Chance||Jackie Johanson|
|1990||King of New York||British Female|
|1991||Killer Instinct||Deborah Walker||Alternative title: Homicidal Impulse|
|1992||Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot||Stewardess|
|1994||Cityscrapes: Los Angeles||Trouble|
|1994||Sleep with Me||Marianne|
|1998||Kissing a Fool||Natasha|
|2000||Enemies of Laughter||Jennifer|
|2000||G-Men from Hell||Gloria Lake|
|2004||The Perfect Score||Anita Donlee|
|2004||Out for Blood||Susan Hastings||Alternative title: Vampires: Out for Blood|
|2004||SuperBabies: Baby Geniuses 2||Jean Bobbins|
|2005||Raging Sharks||Linda Olsen||Direct-to-video release|
|2005||Good Humor Man, TheThe Good Humor Man||Ms. Barlass||Uncredited|
|2006||Monster Night||Claire Ackerman||Direct-to-DVD release|
|2008||Blind Ambition||Autumn Milestone|
|2008||Endless Bummer||Brenda Schooler|
|2011||Hall Pass||Missy Frankenopolis|
|2011||A Christmas Puppy||Hope, A spirit of Christmas|
|2013||Hansel & Gretel: Warriors of Witchcraft||Mrs Keegan/Great Witch|
|2013||National Lampoon Presents Surf Party||Brenda|
|1988||Equalizer, TheThe Equalizer||Christine Hayes||1 episode|
|1992||On the Air||Chorus Girl||1 episode|
|1992||Raven||Flight Attendant||1 episode|
|1992||Lady Boss||Christie||Television film|
|Reasonable Doubts||Detective Peggy Elliott||7 episodes|
|1993||Melrose Place||Karen||3 episodes|
|1993||Murder, She Wrote||Kathryn Scofield||1 episode|
|1993||Cover Girl Murders, TheThe Cover Girl Murders||Rachel||Television film|
|1994||Time Trax||Jane Hawkins||1 episode|
|Weird Science||Lisa||88 episodes|
|1997||Veronica's Closet||Suzanne||2 episodes|
|2000||Stargate SG-1||Anise/Freya||3 episodes|
|2002||Sabretooth||Catherine Viciy||Television film|
|2003||Division, TheThe Division||Mary Turner||1 episode|
|2004||Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys||Erica Sharpe||Television film|
|2005||Criminal Intent||Susan Grace||Television film|
|2007||Raptor Island 2: Raptor Planet||Dr. Anna Rogers||Television film|
|2009||Saving Grace||Pauline Hoover||1 episode|
|2009||Mars Shuttle Murders, TheThe Mars Shuttle Murders||Helena Kirkowski||Television film|
|2009||Shark Biscuit||Detective Patricia Henley||Television film|
|2012||Californication||Alison||Season 5 Episode 2|
- Bozzola, Lucia. "Vanessa Angel". All Movie Guide / Rovi via The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Vanessa Angel". Biography, Sabretooth, Sci Fi Channel. Archived from the original on December 9, 2002. "I almost changed it because I worried people thought of me as this triple-x girl."
- Nicholas, Ruth (1999-10-30). "Style: That year's model". The Independent (London). Retrieved 2007-11-12.[dead link]
- Vogue (UK: Condé Nast Publications). April 1983. pp. Cover.
- Scavullo, Francesco (February 1985). Cosmopolitan 198 (2) (U.S.: Hearst Corporation). pp. Cover.
- "Xena Gets the Axe". BBC News. 2000-10-17. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- Rita Kempley (1997-01-07). "'Kingpin': Bowl-You-Over Yucks". Washington Post. Retrieved October 17, 2007.
- CBS News (2004-08-23). "Scott Baio Does Day Care". CBS News. Retrieved October 17, 2007.
- Polan, Brenda (First Published 1983). "Models". In Brenda Polan. The Fashion Year. Jackie Modlinger, Terence Donovan (First ed.). Zomba House, 165-167 Willesden High Road, London, NW10 2SG: Zomba Books. p. 183. ISBN 0946391033. "They are: Vanessa Angel from Harrow-on-the-Hill currently working in New York, contracted as the Diet Pepsi Girl, a commercial contract that makes her hundreds of thousands of pounds and the first British model in ages to make the cover of Vogue;"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vanessa Angel.|