November 14, 1981 |
Orange, Ohio, United States
Bayer was born and raised in Orange, Ohio, the daughter of Carolyn (née Polster) and Todd Bayer. She graduated from Orange High School in 2000 and attended the University of Pennsylvania where she majored in communications and French, graduating in 2004. Her older brother Jonah is a music journalist who has written for various music and guitar magazines, and has appeared as a music correspondent on Fuse TV. Bayer had leukemia, fighting it throughout her childhood after being diagnosed with the disease at a young age.
While attending college, she interned on the television shows Sesame Street and Late Night with Conan O'Brien and participated in the cast of Bloomers, an all-female musical and sketch comedy troupe. Bayer is Jewish and was part of the all-Jewish cast of Second City's stage show Jewsical: The Musical, a musical that presented a comedic take on Jewish life and culture.
Bayer played the role of Kate Clark in the Chicago based feature comedy Off the Cuff.
Bayer performed improvisational comedy at Chicago's ImprovOlympic, where she trained with SNL castmate Paul Brittain as well as the Annoyance Theater and Second City. Bayer joined the cast of Saturday Night Live as a featured player on September 25, 2010. Her celebrity impressions include Kourtney Kardashian, Miley Cyrus, Sara Gilbert, Hillary Clinton, Jennifer Aniston and Lady Gaga. After Kristen Wiig's departure, beginning with the 2012–2013 season, Bayer is a repertory player (after two years of being a featured player). Some of her recurring sketches include a parody of Fox & Friends, which she does with Taran Killam and Bobby Moynihan, as well as The Miley Cyrus Show, which she does with Jason Sudeikis and the show's host. Her most recent recurring sketch is where she plays an ex-porn star who does ads for various products like diamond necklaces and champagne, which she does with Cecily Strong and the show's host. She also plays Rebecca Stern-Markowitz, the co-host of J-pop American Fun Time Now with Taran Killam and plays the character Jacob the Bar Mitzvah Boy.
|2013||Despicable Me 2||Flight Attendant||Voice role|
|2012||Adventures in the Sin Bin||Superdawg Waitress|
|2010||Stages of Emily||Jocelyn||Short film|
|2009||Off the Cuff||Kate Clark|
|2014||Portlandia||Bank Clerk||Sharing Finances (#4.1)|
|2013||The Mindy Project||Mary||Sk8er Man (#2.7)|
|2011||I Wanna Have Your Baby||Connie||Corrine & Jerry (#1.1)|
|2010–Present||Saturday Night Live||Various characters|
- Moynihan, Rob. "SNL's Fab Four", TV Guide, March 7, 2011, Pages 44-45
- Vanessa Bayer from the Orange High School website
- "'Saturday Night Live' regular Vanessa Bayer, a Moreland Hills native, returns home to perform Sunday at the Improv". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "For Saturday Night Live’s Bayer, humor a family affair - Cleveland Jewish News: Entertainment". Cleveland Jewish News. 2012-11-20. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "Penn Gazette | Alumni : Profiles". Upenn.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- Posted on (2010-09-21). "Jonah Bayer". Jonahbayer.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "All-Female Musical and Sketch Comedy at the University of Pennsylvania". Bloomers Comedy. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "Jews in the News: Rachel Specter, Grammys & Barbra Streisand". Letmypeoplegrow.org. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "NBC'S 'SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE' PREMIERES SEPTEMBER 25 WITH SNL ALUM AMY POEHLER & CHART-TOPPING MUSICAL GUEST KATY PERRY". NBC-Universal Press Release. September 17, 2010. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- Vanessa Bayer at the Internet Movie Database
- Vanessa Bayer: Penn Undergrad to Saturday Night Live (Annenberg School for Communication's undergraduate graduation ceremony, 15 May 2011) youtube