Vanessa Claire Stewart
|Vanessa Claire Stewart|
|Born||New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.|
|Other names||Vanessa Perkins, Vanessa Claire Smith|
|Occupation||Actress, writer, producer|
|Spouse(s)||French Stewart (2011-present)|
Background and education
Born in New Orleans, Louisiana, Vanessa Claire Stewart attended Webster Conservatory for the Performing Arts in St. Louis, Missouri. After graduating, she won a spot as a student at the Oxford School of Drama in Great Britain.
She moved to Los Angeles in 1999 where she met and married her first husband, Lance Arthur Smith. They later divorced in 2005. In 2009, while performing at the Geffen Playhouse, she met actor French Stewart. They married in 2011 and had a daughter, Helene Claire in 2013.  Once married, Vanessa Claire Smith took the surname Stewart. 
In 2004, Vanessa Claire Stewart received an LA Weekly Theatre Award for Best Leading Female Performance, for her gender-bending portrayal of Alex in Los Angeles director Brad Mays' controversial multi-media production of Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange at the ARK Theatre Company in 2003. She also directed the popular Return to the Forbidden Planet  while at ARK.
In 2012, Stewart penned Stoneface for Sacred Fools Theater Company, about the life of Buster Keaton starring her husband French Stewart.  Stoneface won the 2013 LA Weekly award for best production. Stoneface will appear in the 2013-2014 season at Pasadena Playhouse. 
Awards and Nominations
- 2009: Won the award for Lead Actress in a Musical for the role of Keely Smith in "Louis & Keely, Live at the Sahara"
- LA Weekly Theatre Awards Nominations A Clockwork Orange - nominations for "Best Revival Production," "Best Leading Female Performance," "Best Direction"
- LA Weekly Theatre Awards A Clockwork Orange - Vanessa Claire Smith wins for "Best Leading Female Performance"
- Clockwork Orange - The Plays: online overview of stage productions of A Clockwork Orange from around the world
- "Ovation Nominees". 20 October 2009.