Vanessa Fox (born 1972) is a search engine optimization consultant, writer and consultant known for her work creating Google Webmaster Central and as a Google spokesperson. Google Webmaster Central is a set of tools, educational materials, and community to advise webmasters on how to have their sites listed in Google, and to help solve problems they might have with the way Google indexes their pages. She is a prominent technology blogger, and a frequent speaker at industry events.
Fox joined Google in 2005 as a technical writer in its Kirkland, Washington office. She left Google in June 2007, and briefly worked for real-estate startup Zillow. She is an entrepreneur-in-residence with Ignition Partners and she is one of the 16 members of the University of Washington's MSIM/Informatics advisory board.
Additionally, she is the founder of Nine By Blue, a marketing consultancy with an emphasis on search. Fox, originally from Southern California, worked at a Seattle web startup and AOL before joining Google in 2005. While at Google, she was based at Google's Kirkland, Washington office.
Vanessa Fox is a frequent speaker at conferences worldwide, including Search Engine Strategies, Search Marketing Expo, Web 2.0 Conference, BlogHer and Ignite Seattle.
Books and Writing
Fox's book, Marketing in the Age of Google, published in May 2010 by Wiley (second edition published in May 2012), is about marketing with search engines. She is one of the authors for offline and online publications, such as O'Reillly Radar and Search Engine Land. She also writes about holistic marketing strategies that integrate searcher behavior and search-friendly best practices for developers at Nine By Blue
- Danny Sullivan, 8 Googler Alternatives To Superstar Matt Cutts, Search Engine Land, December 1, 2006
- "Google Webmaster Central". www.google.com. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- Kessler, Michelle (October 5, 2007). "Fridays go from casual to e-mail-free - USATODAY.com". usatoday.com. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- Vanessa Fox Speaker Bio, PubCon, accessed April 8, 2007
- Profile, Vanessa Fox, Search Engine Strategies, accessed April 8, 2007
- Blog, SEOmoz.org, accessed June 14, 2007[dubious ]
- UW MSIM Board
- Seattle's Sisters of Search, Seattle24x7, accessed April 13, 2007
- A Conversation with Google's Webmaster Central, Seattle24x7, accessed April 13, 2007[dubious ]
- "Marketing in the Age of Google". Retrieved 2012-10-1.
- O'Reilly Radar profile, accessed June 25, 2010
- Search Engine Land profile, accessed June 25, 2010
- Nine By Blue, accessed June 25, 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vanessa Fox.|
- Vanessa Fox personal blog
- Author page at Search Engine Land
- Google Webmaster Central blog
- Vanessa Fox Clarifies Sitemaps, PageRank (video interview), Web Pro News, April 12, 2007.