|Born||1988 (age 24–25)
London, England, UK
Kirby was raised in Wimbledon, London; her father was a prostate surgeon while her mother was a founder of Country Living. She was educated at the exclusive The Lady Eleanor Holles School. Vanessa Redgrave and Corin Redgrave were family friends. She was turned down by Bristol Old Vic Theatre School and took a gap year travelling before studying English at Exeter University. She then turned down her place at LAMDA in London after she was signed up to an agency and met the theatre director David Thacker, who gave her three starring roles over 2009 at the Octagon Theatre Bolton, in All My Sons by Arthur Miller, Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen and A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare. For All My Sons she won the BIZA Rising Star Award at the Manchester Evening News Theatre Awards, worth £5000.
She then went on to star at the National Theatre as Isabella in Women Beware Women by Thomas Middleton, directed by Marianne Elliott, alongside Harriet Walter and Harry Potter's Harry Melling. She then starred as Rosalind in As You Like It by William Shakespeare at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds, with Alfred Hickling of The Guardian describing her as a "significant new talent". In 2011 she was in thepremiere of The Acid Test by Anya Reiss at the Royal Court Theatre, directed by Simon Godwin, earning praise for her performance from Paul Taylor of The Independent who described her as "a star if ever I saw one".
Kirby made her TV debut in the BBC's The Hour, alongside Ben Whishaw, Dominic West and Romola Garai, in 2011. She played Estella in the BBC's adaption of Great Expectations alongside Ray Winstone, Gillian Anderson and Douglas Booth.
She is set to play the lead role of Alice in Ridley Scott's forthcoming mini-series adaptation of Kate Mosse's novel Labyrinth. In late 2012, she filmedThe Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman with Shia Leboeuf and Mads Mikkelson.
In 2013 Kirby is set to appear in Kill Command opposite Thure Lindhardt, the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending with Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum, and Queen and Country, John Boorman's sequel to his 1987 Hope and Glory.
Vanessa has two cats, Jeffrey and Miranda.
Awards and recognition
Kirby has been nominated for Ian Charleson Awards in 2010, 2011 (when she won Third Prize), and 2013.
In 2011, Kirby was named as one of Screen International's 'Stars of Tomorrow'.
In 2011 she was nominated for the Evening Standard Theatre Awards as Outstanding Newcomer for her performance in The Acid Test.
She was named as one of Nylon magazine's Young Hollywood list 2012.
- 2010 All My Sons by Arthur Miller, Ann Deever, Octagon Theatre
- 2010 Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen, Regina, Octagon Theatre
- 2010 A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, Helena, Octagon Theatre
- 2010 As You Like It by William Shakespeare, Rosalind, West Yorkshire Playhouse
- 2011 Women Beware Women by Thomas Middleton, Isabella, National Theatre
- 2011 The Acid Test by Anya Reiss, Dana, Royal Court Theatre
- 2012 Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov, Masha, Young Vic
- 2013 "Edward II" by Christopher Marlowe, Isabella, National Theatre
|2011||The Hour||Ruth Elms||BBC||Pilot, Episode 2 and 4|
|2011||Great Expectations||Estella||BBC||Broadcast 27–29 December 2011|
|2012||Labyrinth||Alice Tanner||Scott Free Productions||Broadcast 30–31 March 2013|
|2013||Charlie Countryman||Felicity||Mandate Pictures|
|2013||About Time||Joanna||Working Title Films|
|2013||Kill Command||Mills||Vertigo Films|
|2013||Queen and Country||Dawn||John Boorman|
|2013||Insomniacs||Jade||Mugshot Films||Short film|
|2014||Jupiter Ascending||Katharine||Warner Brothers||filming|
- Kirby Interview http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/the-arts/vanessa_kirby_whirlwind_year_brings_rising_star_vanessa_to_leading_role_1_2594186
- Vanessa Kirby Profile http://www.hurtwoodhouseperformingarts.co.uk/#/vanessa-kirby/4539167819
- Octagon Theatre Bolton http://www.whatsonstage.com/features/theatre/northwest/E8831264242696/Brief+Encounter+With+%85+Vanessa+Kirby.html
- Women Beware Women http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=56097&dspl=castcreds
- The Acid Test review http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/reviews/the-acid-test-royal-court-theatre-upstairs-london-2288994.html
- The Hour http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012rwmc
- Imdb Page http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3948952/
- Hollywood Reporter http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rachel-mcadams-about-time-working-title-323151
- The Stage http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2012/06/vanessa-kirby-to-make-young-vic-debut-in-three-sisters/
- IMDB page http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3948952/
- The Scotsman http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scotland/interview-vanessa-kirby-labyrinth-star-1-2852896