Selbst after winning the $1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha event at the 2008 World Series of Poker
|Residence||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Born||July 9, 1984|
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
|European Poker Tour|
|Information accurate as of 15 July 2012.|
Vanessa K. Selbst (born July 9, 1984) is a Jewish-American professional poker player and the top-earning female tournament player of all time, with more than $7m in prize money. Selbst has made six final tables, plus two heads-up semi-finals, at the World Series of Poker, including wins at the 2008 World Series of Poker $1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha event and the 2012 World Series of Poker $2,500 10-Game Mix 6-Handed event. Selbst also won the main event of the 2010 and 2011 PokerStars.net North American Poker Tour at Mohegan Sun. In 2010, Selbst became a member of Team PokerStars where she is known on the site as "V. Selbst".
Selbst was born in Brooklyn, New York. She attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology her freshman year of college but transferred to and graduated from Yale University and is currently a student at Yale Law School, with the intention of pursuing a career in the field of civil rights law". At MIT, she participated in intercollegiate tennis and rugby. During her time at Yale, she was head of the Yale Queer-Straight Alliance. She is also a coach and executive producer at online poker training site DeucesCracked. At The 2013 PCA Vanessa became engaged to marry her partner.
World Series of Poker
Selbst has 13 cashes at the World Series of Poker (WSOP) plus two additional cashes at the World Series of Poker Europe. Her first was in the $2,000 No Limit Hold'em event at the 2006 WSOP, where she finished in seventh place, earning $101,285. At the 2007 WSOP she finished tied for third place in the semi-finals of the $5000 Heads-Up No-Limit Hold'em World Championship, earning $128,968 and finished in the semi-finals again the next year, this time in the 2008 World Series of Poker $10,000 buy-in Heads-Up No-Limit Hold'em World Championship, earning $108,288. Earlier at the 2008 WSOP, she won her first World Series of Poker bracelet in the $1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha event, earning $227,933 and was the only female player to win an open buy-in event that year. Selbst won the $2,500 10-Game Mix 6-Handed event #52 at the 2012 WSOP, becoming the second woman to win a WSOP bracelet in two open events, joining Jennifer Harman. Selbst won $244,259 for the victory. Vanessa finished the 2012 WSOP Main Event in 73rd place, good for $88,070. Her total WSOP winnings are $1,117,996.
World Series of Poker bracelets
|2008||$1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha||$227,933|
|2012||$2,500 10-Game Mix||$244,259|
World Poker Tour
Selbst was the runner-up at the $1,500 World Poker Tour - Ladies Championship, earning $40,815 and was the winner of the $1,000 No Limit Hold'em event in the World Poker Tour Ladies at the 2008 L.A. Poker Classic after defeating fellow professional poker player Erica Schoenberg during heads-up play, earning $26,500.
Selbst, at the 2008 World Poker Finals, won the $1,850 No Limit Hold'em event, earning $115,000. At the 2009 World Poker Finals, she won the $1,375 No Limit Hold'em event, earning $74,224 and finished 3rd in the $2,350, earning $28,642.
In 2011, Selbst took third in the 2011 Doyle Brunson Five Diamond World Poker Classic, winning $338,351.
North American Poker Tour
In 2011, Selbst successfully defended her title at the Mohegan Sun, earning $450,000, and in the process became the first person to win two consecutive NAPT Mohegan Sun Main Events.
European Poker Tour
Selbst won $226,910 finishing 4th place in the $20K EPT London High Roller event, fellow PokerStars player Nacho Barbero won the event for $870,082 .
Other poker results
- Lucchesi, Ryan (2008-06-12). "WSOP: Vanessa Selbst Wins Event No. 19". CardPlayer.com. Retrieved 2008-06-13.
- Butt, Robert. "Vanessa Selbst - Results". TheHendonMob.com. Retrieved 2008-06-13.
- "Poker Player Profile - Vanessa Selbst". bluffmagazine.com. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- "Vanessa Selbst".
- Habib, Daniel G. (2005-05-30). "Online And Obsessed". SI.com. sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Yalies of the Week". yalealumnimagazine.com. yalealumnimagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Vanessa Selbst biography". epicpoker.com. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- DALLA, NOLAN. "Event #19: Pot-Limit Omaha championship - Vanessa Selbst from Brooklyn, NY Wins!". games.aol.com. Archived from the original on 2008-06-24. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- "Congratulations to Vanessa Selbst, Winner of 10 Game Mix 6-Handed ($244,259)". Pokernews.com. 2012-07-01. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
-  Live Reporting | 2010 PokerStars.net NAPT Mohegan Sun | 2010 PokerStars.net NAPT Mohegan Sun Main Event | PokerNews
-  Live Reporting | 2011 North American Poker Tour Mohegan Sun | Main Event | PokerNews
- Partouche Poker Tour 2010: Vanessa Selbst remporte le titre
- "Vanessa Selbst - stats". TheHendonMob.com. Retrieved 2008-06-13.
- World Series of Poker Earnings, worldseriesofpoker.com
- CardPlayer.com - WSOP: Bracelet Winner Q and A -- Vanessa Selbst
- DeucesCracked.com interview
- PokerNews.com - 2008 WSOP Event #19 $1,500 Pot Limit Omaha: Vanessa Selbst Triumphs