||This article is incomplete. (September 2013)|
Official game logo
|Engine||Fighter Maker 2nd|
|Release date(s)||Microsoft Windows
June 26, 2009
Vanguard Princess (ヴァンガードプリンセス Vangaado Purinsesu?), also known as Vanguard Princess: Senjin no Himegimi (ヴァンガードプリンセス 先陣の姫君) is a Japanese freeware dōjin 2D fighting game for Windows, developed by a single programmer and illustrator called Tomoaki Sugeno, nicknamed Suge9. The game was released on June 26, 2009 for PC and April 10, 2013 for OnLive, the game was created using Fighter Maker 2nd. The latest version of the game is 1.08, released on January 14, 2011.
Vanguard Princess was fully developed by Tomoaki Sugeno (or Suge9), an ex-Capcom sprite designer who worked in games like Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and made character sprites for The King of Fighters EX: Neo Blood. Sugeno uses Fighter Maker 2nd for his work, a popular graphic engine for Windows by ASCII. Sugeno designed and illustrated the game by himself, but the music was taken from "nash music library", a royalty-free library of songs. Sugeno also used voice actors to record the voices for all the characters. Sugeno planned a future update called Vanguard Princess Prime which would introduce a new character named Rikako but has since ceased development on it.
An English version was released by eigoMANGA on February 2013 on Amazon.com to North America and Europe. They released a cloud version of the game on the Onlive game service on April 2013. A notable difference in the English version is that the game edits the explicit content in the original Japanese version. The English version also unlocks Hilda as a playable support character. A downloadable PC version of the game was released via Steam on March 3, 2014 after being Greenlit by the community. This version comes with the original English release, plus a free, optional Director's Cut add-on, which returns previously removed content to the game.
- "Vanguard Princess". OnLive. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Sugeno. "Sugeno's Blog". Sugeno's Blog. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- Sugeno. "Vanguard Princess Download". Sugeno's Blog. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- Sugeno. "First Share". Sugeno's Blog. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- Sugeno. "1.08". Sugeno's Blog. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- Ishaan (2009-07-05). "Have A Dose Of Freeware Fighting With Vanguard Princess". Siliconera. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- Sugeno. "About Music". Sugeno's Blog. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- D-Ken. "火曜は同人ゲーの日". d-ken.net. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- "Cute Fighting and Totally Free". Kotaku. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- "｢ツクール｣で作った話題のハイクオリティー2D格闘｢ヴァンガードプリンセス｣が遊べます!". Famitsu. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- "日々是遊戯: ｢ツクール｣だけでここまでできる!! インディーズゲーム界を震撼させた｢ヴァンガードプリンセス｣って?". Gamez. IT MEdia. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- Charles Webb (2013-02-27). "eigoMANGA's Fighting Game 'Vanguard Princess' Could Be This Year's 'Skullgirls'". Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Ryan Winslett (2013-04-17). "Vanguard Princess Brings Female Fighting To OnLive". Retrieved 2013-04-13.