Van's Aircraft RV-4
|First flight||August 1979|
|Number built||1372 (November 2014)|
|Developed from||Van's Aircraft RV-3|
The Van's RV series has become the most popular kit-built aircraft in the world. The RV-4 is the second most popular RV model, outsold only by the now discontinued RV-6.
As of November 2014, 1372 RV-4s had been completed and flown worldwide.
The RV-4 is a new design based upon the concepts proven in the RV-3 and is not merely a stretched RV-3. The RV-4 airframe will accept a range of engines up to 180 hp (134 kW), including the Lycoming O-360. The RV-4 has a new wing, with increased wingspan and wing area over the RV-3. The RV-4 is designed for sport aerobatics.
The RV-4 has proven to be a capable cross country aircraft in service, able to carry two modest sized people and baggage on longer trips. RV-4s have been flown around the world, notably by an Australian, Jon Johanson, who completed world-girdling RV-4 flights on two occasions.
Many larger people find the RV-4 cockpit design physically constraining, and as a result VanGrunsven has designed an entire family of derivative designs. The RV-6 was designed to allow side-by-side seating, and the RV-8 was created as an enlarged aircraft that follows the RV-4's philosophy and offers tandem seating in a bigger aircraft.
Unlike most later RV series designs, RV-4 kits are only available with conventional landing gear, although some may have been constructed in tricycle configuration by builders. At least two RV-4s have also been built with retractable landing gear (mostly for the engineering challenge, as the performance gains were modest).
- Basic version
- Harmon Rocket
- Higher performance derivative of the RV4, with clipped wings, a 400 hp (298 kW) Lycoming IO-540 engine and a razorback turtledeck.
Specifications (Typical RV-4)
- Crew: pilot
- Capacity: 1 passenger
- Length: 20 ft 4 in (6.20 m)
- Wingspan: 23 ft (7.01 m)
- Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
- Wing area: 110 ft² (10.2 m²)
- Empty weight: 905-913 lb (410-414 kg)
- Loaded weight: 1,500 lb (680 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 1,500 lb (680 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming O-320, O-360 or IO-360, 150-180hp (110-135 kW)
- Never exceed speed: 210 mph (340 km/h)
- Maximum speed: 200 mph at sea level (320 km/h)
- Range: 725 miles Cruise 55% power at 8,000 ft (1,170 km)
- Service ceiling: 23,000 ft (7,000 m)
- Rate of climb: 2450 ft/min (12.5 m/s)
- Wing loading: 13.64 lb/ft² (67 kg/m²)
- Power/mass: 0.1-0.12 hp/lb (0.16-0.20 kW/kg)
- Related development
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Van's Aircraft RV-4.|