Variant Call Format
The Variant Call Format (VCF) specifies the format of a text file used in bioinformatics for storing gene sequence variations. The format has been developed with the advent of large-scale genotyping and DNA sequencing projects, such as the 1000 Genomes Project. Existing formats for genetic data such as General feature format (GFF) stored all of the genetic data, much of which is redundant because it will be shared across the genomes. By using the variant call format only the variations need to be stored along with a reference genome.
The standard is currently in version 4.2, although the 1000 Genomes Project has developed their own specification for structural variations such as duplications, which are not easily accommodated into the existing schema. A set of tools is also available for editing and manipulating the files.
##fileformat=VCFv4.0 ##fileDate=20110705 ##reference=1000GenomesPilot-NCBI37 ##phasing=partial ##INFO=<ID=NS,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Number of Samples With Data"> ##INFO=<ID=DP,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Total Depth"> ##INFO=<ID=AF,Number=.,Type=Float,Description="Allele Frequency"> ##INFO=<ID=AA,Number=1,Type=String,Description="Ancestral Allele"> ##INFO=<ID=DB,Number=0,Type=Flag,Description="dbSNP membership, build 129"> ##INFO=<ID=H2,Number=0,Type=Flag,Description="HapMap2 membership"> ##FILTER=<ID=q10,Description="Quality below 10"> ##FILTER=<ID=s50,Description="Less than 50% of samples have data"> ##FORMAT=<ID=GQ,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Genotype Quality"> ##FORMAT=<ID=GT,Number=1,Type=String,Description="Genotype"> ##FORMAT=<ID=DP,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Read Depth"> ##FORMAT=<ID=HQ,Number=2,Type=Integer,Description="Haplotype Quality"> #CHROM POS ID REF ALT QUAL FILTER INFO FORMAT Sample1 Sample2 Sample3 2 4370 rs6057 G A 29 . NS=2;DP=13;AF=0.5;DB;H2 GT:GQ:DP:HQ 0|0:48:1:52,51 1|0:48:8:51,51 1/1:43:5:.,. 2 7330 . T A 3 q10 NS=5;DP=12;AF=0.017 GT:GQ:DP:HQ 0|0:46:3:58,50 0|1:3:5:65,3 0/0:41:3 2 110696 rs6055 A G,T 67 PASS NS=2;DP=10;AF=0.333,0.667;AA=T;DB GT:GQ:DP:HQ 1|2:21:6:23,27 2|1:2:0:18,2 2/2:35:4 2 130237 . T . 47 . NS=2;DP=16;AA=T GT:GQ:DP:HQ 0|0:54:7:56,60 0|0:48:4:56,51 0/0:61:2 2 134567 microsat1 GTCT G,GTACT 50 PASS NS=2;DP=9;AA=G GT:GQ:DP 0/1:35:4 0/2:17:2 1/1:40:3
- The Genome Variation Format (GFV), an extension based on the GFF3 format.
- An explanation of the code in the picture form at http://vcftools.sourceforge.net/VCF-poster.pdf
- A free, graphical tool to inspect, search, split and merge VCF files on OS X is available from http://www.diploid.com/differ
- "VCF Specification". Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Specifications of SAM/BAM and related high-throughput sequencing file formats". Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Encoding Structural Variants in VCF (Variant Call Format) version 4.0 | 1000 Genomes". Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- "VCFtools from SourceForge.net". Retrieved 21 April 2011.
|This biology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|