Varsity Derby League
|Metro area||Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
In 2011, Canberran student roller derby enthusiasts worked on starting a new league, ANU Roller Derby League, as a student organisation at Australian National University. In mid-2011 the league officially changed its name to 'Varsity Derby League' (VDL). In August 2011, VDL incorporated as an independent Association. At this time, VDL also expanded out of the university to take in skaters of any backgrounds, rather than just students, and fellow ACT derby body the Canberra Roller Derby League encouraged interested skaters who had not been able to participate in the CRDL 2011 annual intakes to look into VDL. In May 2013, VDL became the first Canberran roller derby league to train men, as well as women, as players.
VDL had two (women's) home teams, The PhDemons, whose colours were purple and black, and the Cheerbleeders, who skated in red and gold.
VDL's representative (women's) team is the DisHonour Rollers, whose colours are red and grey.
- Harris, Eleri (2 June 2011). In a league of their own. Canberra, Australia: CityNews. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- ACT Office of Regulatory Services, Register of Associations, Retrieved 2013-07-18
- Dewar, Lee (September 2011). "Roller Derby". Play (1): 28–29. ISSN 1839-3756.
- Varsity Derby League, "Want to Play Roller Derby", Retrieved 2013-07-18
- "Getting girls on wheels since 2011". Varsity Derby League. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-12.