Sunset over Varthur lake.
|Population (January 2010)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KA 53|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Bangalore Central|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Mahadevapura|
Varthur (Kannada: ವರ್ತೂರು) is a suburb situated in the Eastern periphery of Bangalore City and part of the internationally famous Whitefield township. Varthur is a Hobli and part of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike. Varthur was a Legislative Assembly in the state of Karnataka but, was split into three legislative assemblies C.V.Raman Nagar, Mahadevapura and Krishnarajapura in the year 2008. It is also one of the wards of BBMP. Varthur is very close to ITPB.
There are many IT industries in Varthur Hobli. The head office of one of the largest IT Industry, Wipro Technologies is situated at Doddakannelli, Varthur Hobli. Some other companies like Cisco Systems, ARM, Aricent Group, etc. are situated in Varthur Hobli
At Varthur, people celebrate, Brahmarathotsava of Sri Chennaraya Swamy, which happens on the day of Ratha Saptami. It is one of the famous events that happen in this area. Two days later is Karaga of Sri Draupathamma (Draupadi) at Sri Dharmaraya Swamy (Yudhisthira) temple, which happens in night being visited by thousands of people from Varthur, Gunjur, Madhuranagara, Whitefield, Ramagondannahalli, Balagere, Sorahunase, Immadihalli, Harohalli, Muthsandra, Kotur.
Varthur is located at
- MP : P C Mohan (Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP))
- MLA : Aravinda Limbavalli (BJP)
- Councilor: S Uday Kumar (Indian National Congress (INC))
- New Horizon College of Engineering
- CMR Institute of Technology
- Krupanidhi Nursing and PU College, Gunjur
- Government Degree College, Varthur
- Government High School and Junior College, Varthur
- Government Middle School, Varthur
- Sri Sharadha Vidhya Mandir, Varthur
- Ryan International
- K K Education Society
- Vagdhevi Villas (at Varthur and Marathahalli)
- Lady Vailankanni Group of Institutions
- Chrysalis High, Gunjur
- Sri Ravishankar Vidya Mandir
- Vibgyor High, Marathahalli
- Chrysalis High School In, Varthur, Gunjur Main Road
- Deen's Academy, in whitefield
- Greenwood High near Dommasandra Circle
- TISB International School near Dommasandra Circle
- Inventure Academy near Dommasandra Circle
- Oakridge International School near Dommasandra Circle
- Indus International School in Dommasandra Circle
- Abhijatha Education Society (SLF Convent)
Varthur Main Road
The lake ecosystem is an integral part of Bangalore, although unplanned urbanisation and industrialisation have led to the contamination of these water bodies. Varthur Lake, which has an area of 180.40 hectares (445.8 acres) is the second largest lake in Bangalore city and also one of the most polluted lakes in Bangalore. Its ecosystem is under continuous degradation because of sewage water from Bangalore, entering the lake from Bellandur Lake further upstream.
This is a man made lake, built by Ganga kings over thousands of years ago for agriculture and domestic uses but now the lake is receiving 40% of the sewage water from Bangalore for over 50 years resulting in eutrophication.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Varthur.|