|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
|Elevation||11 m (36 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||0250-XXX XXXX|
|Vehicle registration||MH-04, MH-48|
|Sex ratio||880 ♂/♀|
Vasai-Virar is a city in Maharashtra state in western India. It is a suburb of Mumbai. According to the 2011 census, it is the fifth largest city in Maharashtra. It is located in Thane District, 50 km north of Mumbai. The city is located on the north bank of Vasai Creek, part of the estuary of the Ulhas River. The two government bodies in Vasai-Virar town are Vasai-Virar City Municipal Corporation (VVMC) and Grampanchayat.
Vasai-Virar is an agglomeration of several, formerly separate, towns. The area covered by the city roughly corresponds to the ancient city of Sopara.
Vasai-Virar has a tropical wet and dry climate (Köppen: Aw). This moderate climate consists of high rainfall days and very few days of extreme temperatures. 80% of total rainfall occurs between June and October. Annual rainfall averages at 2,000–2,500 mm (79–98 in) and humidity is 61—86%, making it a humid-prehumid[clarification needed] zone. The driest days are in winter, while the wettest days occur in July.
|Climate data for Vasai-Virar|
|Average high °C (°F)||28.5
|Daily mean °C (°F)||23.2
|Average low °C (°F)||17.9
|Precipitation mm (inches)||0
|Source: Climate-Data.org (altitude: 5m)|
The population of Vasai-Virar is 12,27,834 (2011 census). A sudden rise of population is due to expansion of western suburbs resulting in an outflow of people to the areas of Virar, Nalasopara, Vasai, Naigaon. The standard of living is cheap, hence the area has seen a lot of influx of middle class and the lower-middle-class families. The demographics of this suburb is largely immigrant, from areas such as the rest of Maharashtra, Gujrat, North India, East India,.
The Vasai-Virar Town is governed by two bodies, the Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation and the Grampachayat.
Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation
The Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation (VVMC) was formed on 3 July 2010. It is headed by a Municipal commissioner, an Indian Administrative Service officer who wields the executive power. A quinquennial election is held to elect the governing body, who are responsible for overseeing that their constituencies have the basic civic infrastructure in place, and that there is no lacuna on the part of the authorities. The position of mayor is a largely ceremonial post with limited duties but the office-holder heads the party with the largest vote.
The VVMC provides all the basic municipal facilities in the area of its authority and is charged with development also. The facilities under its jurisdiction are:
- Public health and Hospitals
- Street lighting
- Maintenance of parks and open spaces
- Sewage treatment and disposal
- Garbage disposal and street cleanliness
- Aiding in prevention of epidemic outbreaks through mass production of medicines at the Haffkine Institute
- Cemeteries and Crematoriums
- Registering of births and deaths.
- Removal of Encroachments
- Markets, Shops and Establishments
Its administrative area currently[when?] comprises four towns - Virar, Nallasopara, Navghar-Manikpur and Vasai - and eighteen villages.
Vasai-Virar Town is Connected by Western & Central Railway. The Major Railway Stations on Western & Central Railway in Vasai-Virar Town are
- Virar Railway Station (Western Railway): All Local, DMU Train, Memu, Shuttle, Express & Passenger Trains halt or Depart from here.
- Nallasopara Railway Station (Western Railway) : All Local DMU & Memu halt here.
- Vasai Road Railway Station (Western / Central Railway) : Vasai Road Railway Station is a Junction. All Local, DMU, Memu, Shuttle, Express & Passenger Trains halt or Depart from here.
- Naigaon Railway Station (Western Railway) : All Local Trains halt here.
- Juchandra Railway Station (Central Railway) : All DMU & MEMU halt here.
- Kaman Road Railway Station (Central Railway) : All DMU & MEMU halt here.
- SETCHAT - Shah Education Trust's College of Hospitality (Hotel Mngt) & Tourism [Evershine City-Avenue, Vasai (E)]
- VCET - Vidya Vardhini's College of Engineering and Technology Vasai (W)
- VVJC - Vidya Vikasini Junior College Of Science and Commerce Vasai (E)
Hotels & Restaurants
- BLU SPICE - Multicuisine Family Restaurant [Shop No:11, C-Wing, Jayraj Nagar CHS, 100 Feet Road, Off: Ambadi Road, Vasai (W)]
- "Census India 2011 Cities above 1 lac population". Census India. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Climate: Vasai Virar - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "SETCHAT - Shah Education Trust's College of Hospitality (Hotel Mngt) & Tourism". Setchatvasai.com. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "Vidyavardhini's College of Engineering and Technology". Vcet.edu.in. 2013-06-15. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- Vidya Vikasini Junior College Of Science and Commerce
- "BLU SPICE - Multicuisine Family Restaurant".