June 9, 1912|
Sonwad village, Savantwadi, Maharashtra
|Died||December 22, 1975
|Occupation||film score composer|
|http://www.vasantdesai.com or http://www.soundsofsonawade.com|
Vasant Desai (1912–1975) was an Indian film music composer, most remembered for his score in V. Shantaram film, like Do Aankhen Barah Haath (1953), Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baaje (1955), Vijay Bhatt's Goonj Uthi Shehnai (1959), Sampoorna Ramayan (1961), Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Guddi (1971) and Aashirwaad.
He born in 1912 into a wealthy family in Sonwad village, Savantwadi state, ruled by the Bhonsale clan, and grew up in Kudal area, also in Konkan belt, Sindhudurg district, Maharashtra in western India.
He was with the famous Prabhat Film Company since it started making talkies. He acted, sang, and sometimes composed songs in Prabhat's films like Dharmatma and Sant Dnyaneshwar. After learning the craft of music composition, he stuck solely to it since the 1940s.
He scored music for a majority of V. Shantaram's films when the latter broke away from Prabhat to form his own film studio. Their relations soured in late 1950s after which Vasantrao Desai never worked for his former mentor again.
He memorable songs are, Hindi Filmi Devotional song, Ae Malik Tere Bande Ham Do Aankhen Barah Haath, 1957. and launched play back singer, Vani Jairam with the song, Bole re papihara in Guddi (1971).
 In Marathi, some of his memorable songs are Sanga Mukund kuni ha pahila, Uthi Uthi Gopala from Amar Bhoopali, Ramya hi swargahuni Lanka from Swayamwar zale Seeteche, Deh devache mandir from Preetisangam, Manuskichya shatrusange yuddha amuche suru from Chota jawan
Vasant Desai went back home on 22 December 1975 after a full day recording of a special musical programme at HMV Studios attended by high profile musicians as it was in praise of Indira Gandhi. He stepped into the elevator of his apartment building and due to some technical hitch, the lift began to move, crushing him to death.
- Amar Bhoopali (Marathi)
- Shyamachi Aai (Marathi)
- Molkarin (Marathi)
- Swayamwar zale Seeteche (Marathi)
- Laxmanrekha (Marathi)
- Tooch mazi rani (Marathi)
- Kanchanganga (Marathi)
- Chota jawan (Marathi)
- Dev Deenaghari Dhavala (Marathi Drama)
- Do Phool(1958)
- Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baaje (1955)
- Do Aankhen Barah Haath (1953)
- Toofan Aur Deeya (1956)
- Gunj Uthi Shehnai (1959)
- Dr. Kotnis Ki Amar Kahani (1946) 
- Sampoorna Ramayana (1961)
- Yaadein (1964 film)
- Achanak (1973 film)
- Vasant Desai Encyclopaedia of Hindi cinema, by Gulzar, Govind Nihalani, Saibal Chatterjee. (Encyclopaedia Britannica (India) Pvt. Ltd,) Publisher: Popular Prakashan, 2003. ISBN 81-7991-066-0. p. 544.
- Vasant Desai Hindi Film Song: Music Beyond Boundaries, by Ashok Da. Ranade. Bibliophile South Asia, 2006. ISBN 81-85002-64-9. p. 229.
- Nostalgia unlimited: Vani Jairam's songs in Malayalam continue to enchant a new generation of music lovers The Hindu, 2 December 2005.
- http://www.aathavanitli-gani.com/Lists/Composer%20Details/Vasant%20Desai.asp List of songs by Vasant Desai
- http://www.bookganga.com/Preview/Preview.aspx?BookId=170912115720&PreviewType=ebooks (p. 23)