Vasant Kunj is an affluent and upmarket residential area located in South West Delhi district of Delhi, India, on the hills of Aravali, which today has well over 100,000 residents. The Vasant Kunj community is considered to be well educated and prosperous. Vasant Kunj is home to many intellectuals, prominent businessmen, celebrities, etc. The self-owned (private) residence of former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is also located in Vasant Kunj. The pin code of Vasant Kunj is 110070.
It was developed by the Indian Government after acquiring the farm lands from nearby villages like: Kishangarh (Delhi), Munirka, Masoodpur and Mahipalpur in the early 1960s under then Prime Minister Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru.
It is divided into 5 large sectors A, B, C, D and E - each of which in turn is divided into several different pockets (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7). Sector C is divided into two more pockets i.e. 8 an 9.
Its construction started in late 1980s by Delhi Development Authority (DDA), with Sector A, being the oldest sector of Vasant kunj has pockets named as Pocket A,B and C. Rest of the sectors in Vasant kunj have pockets named in numeric value. One extreme of Vasant Kunj (Sector A Pocket C/ Sector D Pocket 1) is around 4 km from Qutub Minar/Mehrauli. The other extreme (Sector E Pocket 2) is approximately 6.5 km from the Indira Gandhi International Airport. Munirka is about 5 km from Sector B Pocket 1, which marks (approximately) the midpoint of Vasant Kunj along the arterial road. The farm land prices in Vasant Kunj are the highest in Delhi, followed by Rajokri. Green avenue road is the top priority followed by Mall road, Ram mandir road and park lane. Other areas around vasant kunj for farmhouses are Westend Greens, Pushpanjali Farms, Dlf chattarpur and Radhey Mohan drive in chatarpur.
The current commercial hub of Vasant Kunj is the adjoining Masoodpur village and Nelson Mandela Marg.Vasant Kunj boasts of four top of the line malls, 3 of which-Ambience Mall, DLF Promenade and the DLF Emporio (most expensive mall in Asia) lie along the Nelson Mandela Marg.The malls are home to many of the biggest international brands and even provide entertainment facilities with cinema halls and games plaza. The malls here, along with the malls in Saket have emerged as the biggest shopping hubs in Delhi. The Vasant Square Mall is located on Masudpur Road. Other prominent landmarks on Nelson Mandela Road include the Maruti Suzuki Corporate head office and a 5 star hotel, 'The Grand'. These malls have had a deep impact and are a major driver of the ever escalating real estate prices of Vasant Kunj.
A Bio-Diversity park has also been made in Vasant Kunj for the preservation of flora and fauna of the surrounding area. This particular park is an example of modern bio-diversity management and was made under the supervision of renowned botanist, Dr. Gogate.
A large automotives market also exists in Vasant Kunj on Aruna Asif Ali Marg. This auto market has the showrooms on carmakers Chevrolet and Ford. There are also a number of second hand car dealers and innumerable service stations. The second CNG filling station of Vasant Kunj is now operational which is opposite the Kishan Garh Goshala.
Vasant Kunj is also a corporate hub for India's largest market research companies like Track Opinion, Opinionest. The corporate office and registered office of Bharti Airtel Limited and Maruti Limited are also situated at Vasant Kunj. India's biggest oil company, ONGC is also building their research centre in the area.
Over the next few years some of the best institutions like University Grants Commission (UGC) and All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) will also come up in the area. The AICTE office is already under construction.
The fortified structure, which surrounds the tomb and the inner chamber (crypt) of the tomb itself, are one of finest examples of Mamluk dynasty architecture, which also include the Qutub Minar in Mehrauli.
Vasant Kunj is home to respected healthcare establishments, including The Late. Ranjan Dhall Memorial Fortis Hospital, the Indian Spinal Injuries Center, the newly established Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences(ILBS) facility and the Sukhmani Hospital on Nelson Mandela Road.
Vasant Kunj is also home to a very unique temple called the "Shri Mahavidya Shaki Mandir." At A-66, Vasant Kunj Enclave, it is an almost 30-year-old temple housing all ten "Maha Vidyas" or ten forms of Goddess Mahakali. It also has a Shiv temple, a hanuman temple and specialises in traditional Indian worship of Goddess Kali.
Vasant Kunj is home to several schools and colleges, including:
- Bloom Public School
- DPS Vasant Kunj
- Vasant Valley School
- Ryan International School
- G D Goenka Public School
- The Heritage School
- Bhatnagar International Foundation School
- DAV Public School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Vasant Kunj
- Kathuria Public School
- Kangaroo Kids
- Deep Public School
- TERI University
- Sri Sharada Institute Of Indian Managemet
- Aditya Institute of Technology
- Jagannath International Management School (JIMS)
- Foreign Tutors Bureau
- Japanese School New Delhi
Bloomsbury India has its head office in the Vishrut Building (Building No. 3) in the DDA Complex in Vasant Kunj. Also the headquarters of the Bharti group and ONGC is located in the area near Ambience mall.
Sports and Recreation
Many academies for sports are located in Vasant Kunj which include DDA sports complex in D-2 and Ryders club in D-1. DDA has also developed a small 5-a-side caged football field near B-5&6.
Vasant Vatika is a large park situated near C-6.It has a walking track and is very popular among the elderly and the children alike.It is a perfect place where one can be at peace with himself.
- Several Cricket players live in Vasant Kunj
- Registered office of Aakash Building Construction Corporation is in Vasant Kunj. Owner BD Gupta, resides in Vasant Vihar.
- Bhushan Kumar of T-Series owns land here.
- DLF Emporio in Vasant Kunj is the latest up-market mall. It claims to be the largest luxury collection in Asia with 74 international and 111 Indian brands.
- Water shortage was an acute problem in many sectors of Vasant Kunj. However, this has been largely resolved once the Sonia Vihar water supply was regularised.
- Fabindia's headquarters is located in the B 11 market.
- Branches of most leading Banks can be found in Vasant Kunj, while the Post Office is situated at Anchal Plaza.
- The only Catholic Church in Delhi, dedicated to Saint Alphonsa (the first woman saint from India), is in Vasant Kunj's Green Avenue Lane.
- Both, Kali Bari the temple of Goddes Kali and the Jain temple are located behind the Vasant Square Mall and Gurdwara is on the Nelson Mandella Road.
- Recently the residents of Vasant Kunj along with those of Mahipalpur and Masoodpur moved in court to protest against the massive noise pollution caused by the frequently passing by of aircraft over the area towards the newly opened T3 terminal of the IGI Airport. While other residents have begun to protest the widening of the stretch of road from the Chhatarpur Metro station towards Mahipalpur.
The nearest Delhi Metro stations are at Chhatarpur, which is situated on Andheria More and is on the Yellow Line of the Delhi Metro and Aerocity,which is situated on Mahipalpur Chowk and is on the Orange Line of the Delhi Metro.
- "学校地図." (Archive) Japanese School New Delhi. Retrieved on 4 January 2013. "SECTOR-A, POCKET B&C, VASANT KUNJ, NEW DELHI, INDIA"
- "Contact Us." Bloomsbury Books. Retrieved on 14 October 2012. "Bloomsbury India Bloomsbury Publishing India Pvt Limited VISHRUT Building Building no3, DDA Complex,Ground Floor Pocket C 6&7 , Vasant Kunj New Delhi 110070 India"