Vasant Kunj is a affluent residential colony located in South West Delhi district of Delhi, India, on the hills of Aravali, which today has well over 100,000 residents. Most residents reside in flats built by DDA. The Vasant Kunj community is considered to be well educated and prosperous. Vasant Kunj is home to many intellectuals, prominent businessmen, celebrities, etc. The self-owned (private) residence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (he resides at his official residence in Central Delhi) is also located in Vasant Kunj.
It was developed by the Indian Government after acquiring the farm lands from nearby villages like: Kishangarh (Delhi), Munirka, Masoodpur and Mahipalpur in the early 1960s under then Prime Minister Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru.
It is divided into 5 large sectors A, B, C, D and E - each of which in turn is divided into several different pockets (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).
Its construction started in late 1980s by Delhi Development Authority (DDA), with Sector A, being the oldest sector of Vasant kunj has pockets named as Pocket A,B and C. Rest of the sectors in Vasant kunj have pockets named in numeric value. One extreme of Vasant Kunj (Sector A Pocket C/ Sector D Pocket 1) is around 4 km from Qutub Minar/Mehrauli. The other extreme (Sector E Pocket 2) is approximately 6.5 km from the Indira Gandhi International Airport. Munirka is about 5 km from Sector B Pocket 1, which marks (approximately) the midpoint of Vasant Kunj along the arterial road. The farm land prices in Vasant Kunj are the highest in Delhi, followed by Rajokri. Green avenue road is the top priority followed by Mall road, Ram mandir road and park lane. Other areas around vasant kunj for farmhouses are Westend Greens, Pushpanjali Farms, Dlf chattarpur and Radhey Mohan drive in chatarpur.
The current commercial hub of Vasant Kunj is the adjoining Masoodpur village and Nelson Mandela Marg.Vasant Kunj boasts of four top of the line malls, 3 of which-Ambience Mall, DLF Promenade and the DLF Emporio (most expensive mall in Asia) lie along the Nelson Mandela Marg.The malls are home to many of the biggest international brands and even provide entertainment facilities with cinema halls and games plaza. The malls here, along with the malls in Saket have emerged as the biggest shopping hubs in Delhi. The Vasant Square Mall is located on Masudpur Road. Other prominent landmarks on Nelson Mandela Road include the Maruti Suzuki Corporate head office and a 5 star hotel, 'The Grand'. These malls have had a deep impact and are a major driver of the ever escalating real estate prices of Vasant Kunj.
A Bio-Diversity park has also been made in Vasant Kunj for the preservation of flora and fauna of the surrounding area. This particular park is an example of modern bio-diversity management and was made under the supervision of renowned botanist, Dr. Gogate.
A large automotives market also exists in Vasant Kunj on Aruna Asif Ali Marg. This auto market has the showrooms on carmakers Chevrolet and Ford. There are also a number of second hand car dealers and innumerable service stations. The second CNG filling station of Vasant Kunj was expected to open here by March 2011. The existing one is on Nelson Mandela Marg.
Vasant Kunj is also home to Vasant Kunj Informer & Shopper - India's 1st Community Monthly Yellow pages, which is distributed free of cost to all residents. A handy reference - it makes living easier for the residents, be it ordering food from the choice of menus in it, or looking for a doctor, a tutor, a plumber etc. This publication which was started in 1991, has come to grow with the colony, and many residents consider it a bible to daily living here.
The fortified structure, which surrounds the tomb and the inner chamber (crypt) of the tomb itself, are one of finest examples of Mamluk dynasty architecture, which also include the Qutub Minar in Mehrauli.
Vasant Kunj is home to respected healthcare establishments. The Late. Ranjan Dhall memorial Fortis hospital offers the latest treatment technologies with the help of well renowned doctors. In addition, the Indian Spinal Injuries Center, the institution of spinal treatment and research, is also located in Vasant Kunj on Masudpur Marg. A newly established Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences(ILBS) facility was built near D-1, Vasant Kunj. The hospital's foundation was laid by Lt Sh.Mahender Singh Bhattewala (Ex-MLA). ﺁجروددين بلييﺁنﺁ
Vasant Kunj is home to several good educational institutions be it schools or colleges. Schools of repute such as
- Bloom Public School
- DPS Vasant Kunj
- Vasant Valley School
- Ryan International School
- G D Goenka Public School
- The Heritage School
- Bhatnagar International School
Sports and Recreation
Many academies for sports are located in Vasant Kunj which include DDA sports complex in D-2 and Ryders club in D-1. DDA has also developed a small 5-a-side caged football field near B-5&6.
Vasant Vatika is a large park situated near C-6.It has a walking track and is very popular among the elderly and the children alike.It is a perfect place where one can be at peace with himself.
- Several Cricket players live in Vasant Kunj
- Registered office of Aakash Building Construction Corporation is in Vasant Kunj. Owner BD Gupta, resides in Vasant Vihar.
- Bhushan Kumar of T-Series owns land here.
- DLF Emporio in Vasant Kunj is the latest up-market mall. It claims to be the largest luxury collection in Asia with 74 international and 111 Indian brands.
- Water shortage was an acute problem in many sectors of Vasant Kunj. However, this has been largely resolved once the Sonia Vihar water supply was regularised.
- Fabindia's headquarters is located in the B 11 market.
- Branches of most leading Banks can be found in Vasant Kunj, while the Post Office is situated at Anchal Plaza.
- The only Catholic Church in Delhi, dedicated to Saint Alphonsa (the first woman saint from India), is in Vasant Kunj's Green Avenue Lane.
- Both, Kali Bari the temple of Goddes Kali and the Jain temple are located behind the Vasant Square Mall and Gurdwara is on the Nelson Mandella Road.
- Recently the residents of Vasant Kunj along with those of Mahipalpur and Masoodpur moved in court to protest against the massive noise pollution caused by the frequently passing by of aircraft over the area towards the newly opened T3 terminal of the IGI Airport. While other residents have begun to protest the widening of the stretch of road from the Chhatarpur Metro station towards Mahipalpur.
Vasant Kunj was largely considered to be a place cut-off from the main city, but in recent years saw rapid progress in this aspect with the Delhi Metro coming to close by Chattarpur and more bus routes added to the area by DTC.
The distance between Vasant Kunj and some prominent areas within the NCT of Delhi/New Delhi are as follows: -
- Qutub Minar : 4 km
- IGI Airport Terminal 3 : 6 km
- IGI Airport Terminal 1 : 9 km
- Dwarka Sub City : 11 km
- Chittaranjan Park : 13 km
- AIIMS : 14 km
- Lajpat Nagar : 16 km
- Connaught Place : 17 km
- Rajouri Garden : 18 km
- Nizamuddin Railway Station : 20 km
- New Delhi Railway Station : 23 km
- Kashmere Gate : 25 km
- Delhi University : 27 km
- Rohini Sub City : 30 km
- Delhi Singhu Border : 48 km
- Bawana : 50 km
The distance between Vasant Kunj and some prominent areas in the Delhi NCR region are as follows: -
- Gurgaon : 15 km
- Noida : 27 km
- Faridabad : 33 km
- Ghaziabad : 46 km
- Greater Noida : 57 km
- Sonepat : 67 km
The nearest Delhi Metro stations are at Chhatarpur, which is situated on Andheria More and is on the Yellow Line of the Delhi Metro and Aerocity,which is situated on Mahipalpur Chowk and is on the Orange Line of the Delhi Metro.
Areas Near Vasant Kunj
- "Contact Us." Bloomsbury Books. Retrieved on 14 October 2012. "Bloomsbury India Bloomsbury Publishing India Pvt Limited VISHRUT Building Building no3, DDA Complex,Ground Floor Pocket C 6&7 , Vasant Kunj New Delhi 110070 India"