|8th President of Emilia-Romagna|
3 March 1999 – 8 July 2014
|Preceded by||Antonio La Forgia|
|Succeeded by||Stefano Bonaccini|
|President of the Conference of the Regions and Autonomous Provinces|
13 May 2005
|Preceded by||Enzo Ghigo|
|Succeeded by||Sergio Chiamparino|
17 May 1955 |
Massa Lombarda, Italy
|Political party||PCI (1970–1991)
|Alma mater||University of Bologna|
Vasco Errani (born 17 May 1955) is an Italian politician. A member of the Democratic Party (PD), of which he was a founding member in 2007, he has been President of Emilia-Romagna since 1999, being the longest-serving one of all time.
Life and career
Errani started his political career in Ravenna in the late 1970s by joining the Italian Communist Party (PCI), which evolved as the Democratic Party of the Left (PDS) in 1991 and the Democrats of the Left (DS) in 1998. In this capacity he was municipal councillor in Ravenna from 1983 through 1995, when he was first elected to the Legislative Assembly of Emilia-Romagna and co-opted in the Regional Government as under-secretary to the Presidency. In 1997 he was appointed regional minister of Tourism. Finally, in 1999, he was elected President of the Region by the Legislative Assembly.
In 2000, when the first direct election took place, Errani was overwhelmingly elected President with 56.5% of the vote. In 2005 he was re-elected by a landslide 62.7% of the vote against the 35.2% of his closest opponent.
Errani was chosen as president of the State–Regions Conference by fellow presidents in 2005, after having been its deputy in 2000–2005. In the 2010 regional elections the centre-left lost its majority in the Conference and Roberto Formigoni, longtime President of Lombardy, claimed the post. However, Errani was re-elected thanks to the decisive support of Lega Nord.
In 2012, Vasco Errani ends under investigation, because the cooperative "Terremerse", owned by his brother, received a financing of one million Euro for the construction of a factory farm, by the Region Emilia-Romagna. Errani is under investigation for fraudulent misrepresentation: the impeachment is of having provided misleading information to the investigating magistrate. On 8 November 2012 Errani was acquitted and declared innocent because the fact was not.
- "I componenti del comitato per il Partito Democratico". Milan: Il Sole 24 Ore. 23 May 2007.
- Legislative Assembly of Emilia-Romagna – History of Legislatures
- Emilia-Romagna Region – Biography of Vasco Errani, President
- Ministry of the Interior – 2000 regional election in Emilia-Romagna
- Ministry of the Interior – 2005 regional election in Emilia-Romagna
- Ministry of the Interior – 2010 regional election in Emilia-Romagna
- Cremonesi, Marco (27 May 2010). "Stato-Regioni, asse Lega-Pd per Errani". Milan: Corriere della Sera.
- "Conferenza Stato-Regioni Errani verso la riconferma". Milan: Corriere della Sera. 27 May 2010.
- "Errani confermato presidente della conferenza delle regioni". Bologna: Il Resto del Carlino. 27 May 2010.