Vaughan Roberts attended Winchester College. He was an undergraduate law student at Selwyn College, University of Cambridge, where he was President of the CICCU (Cambridge Christian Union). After a short time in student ministry in South Africa, he moved to Oxford to study theology at Wycliffe Hall and has lived in the city ever since. In 1991 he became curate under David Fletcher at St Ebbe's Church. One of his responsibilities was to look after the student work. When Fletcher retired in 1998, Roberts became rector.
Roberts has written a number of Christian books, including Turning Points, Distinctives, Battles Christians Face, True Worship, Life's Big Questions and God's Big Picture (an introduction to Biblical theology).
In the fifth anniversary edition of Battles Christians Face a new preface was added in which Roberts acknowledged struggles with unwanted same-sex attraction. He later publicly confirmed this in an interview, adding that he does not define himself as homosexual.
- Turning Points (1999: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-336-7
- True Worship (2002: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-445-6
- God's Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible (2002: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-0-8308-5364-9
- Life's Big Questions: Six Major Themes Traced Through the Bible (2004: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-0-8308-5367-0
- God's Big Design: Life as He Intends It To Be (2005: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-0-8308-3343-6
- Distinctives (2006: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-331-2
- Battles Christians Face (2007: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-728-0
- Christmas in Three Words (2007: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-1-905564-81-1
- Missing the Point? Finding Our Place in the Turning Points of History (2007: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-763-1
- True Spirituality: The Challenge of 1 Corinthians for the Twenty-First-Century Church (2011: IVP) ISBN 978-1-84474-518-0
- Workers for the Harvest Field, with Tim Thornborough (2006: The Good Book Company) ISBN 978-1-905564-30-9