Vauxhall City Farm
Vauxhall City Farm was originally founded in 1977 as Jubilee City Farm by a group of architects squatting at St Oswald's Place, following large-scale demolitions in the neighbourhood between 1972 and 1976.
The farm contains animals such as alpacas, sheep, goats and pigs which are used for the farm's education and youth work as well as for filming and photo-shoots. The farm's pigs have appeared on the Alan Titchmarsh Show and the goats have been used to graze a meadow on the roof of the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank. In April 2009 BBC London's 'Farmyard Cam' streamed live footage of the sheep at the farm.
The farm operates a therapy riding centre as well as youth and animal projects. Former riders at the farm include Sam Martin, who is training to taking part in the 2016 Summer Olympics. In November 2011 the farm offered twenty London families free riding lessons run by European Dressage Championship gold medalist Emile Faurie. It also hosts a group of Spinners who make yarn from the wool of the sheep and alpacas using dyes cultivated from vegetables and plants grown on the site.
As of October 2013, Vauxhall City Farm has been approved for planning permission to provide a major overhaul of the farm alongside new affordable housing. The farm was also recently granted a fund from Sport England and the The National Lottery to build three new stables.
- Vauxhall City Farm Homepage
- "A Life in Wellies", 21 October 2013, Metro
- "Healthy As A Horse", 12 April 2013, Weekender Life
- Vauxhall City Farm, Brixton Blog
- Vauxhall City Farm, Baby Daytripper
- Vauxhall City Farm Papa Mayhem, Papa Mayhem
- "City farm reopens to visitors", 18 September 2001, BBC News
- "Alpacas guard sheep from foxes", 28 February 2011, BBC Surrey
- "Charity overview". Charity Commission for England and Wales. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "RDA Groups". Riding for the Disabled Association. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "About Us". Vauxhall City Farm. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "What We Offer". Vauxhall City Farm. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Our Family". Vauxhall City Farm. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Goats cut grass along the South Bank". ITV News. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "PICTURES: Grazing goats grace South Bank roof". London24. 19 October 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "BBC London's Farmyard Cam". BBC Online. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Douglas, Hilary (9 June 2013). "Gang boy escapes streets to become Olympic hope". Daily Express. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Central London families muck in with Emile Faurie at Vauxhall City Farm". British Equestrian Federation. 14 November 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Central London Families Muck in with Emile Faurie at Vauxhall City Farm". Eurodressage. 7 November 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Exhibitor biography's - Queen's Gardens". Fashion Capital. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Babbs, Helen (17 February 2012). "Beer, bread and threads: cottage industries grow in the city". The City Planter. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Thompson, Max (17 October 2013). "Overhaul of Vauxhall City Farm mooted". Architects Journal. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Skyscraper developer to farm out 'affordable housing' to Vauxhall City Farm?". The Vauxhall Society. 6 July 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Mathieson, Amy (6 September 2013). "Vauxhall City Farm riding centre gets funding boost". Horse & Hound. Retrieved 15 November 2013.