|Type||Privately held company|
|Key people||William H. Largent (COO)
Doug Hazelman (VP)
Peter Ruchatz (CMO)
|Products||Backup & Replication, ONE, Management Pack (MP), Stencils, Extended GRL, Smart Plug-in (SPI)|
Veeam Software is a privately held information technology company developing backup, disaster recovery and virtualization management software for VMware and Hyper-V virtual environments. Company’s headquarters is based in Baar, Switzerland.
The company focuses on virtualization and the name "Veeam" came from the phonetic pronunciation of the letters "VM," as in virtual machine.
Veeam was founded in 2006 by Ratmir Timashev after he sold his previous IT management software company, Aelita Software Corporation, to Quest Software in 2004, which is now owned by Dell. Some of the management team from Aelita also joined Veeam.
The first products released by Veeam were Veeam Monitor and Veeam Reporter, tools for virtual infrastructure monitoring, reporting, analysis and documentation. The company gained attention in 2007 with its free VM backup copy product, FastSCP, which became a basis for building Veeam’s data protection software for hardware virtualization.
In 2008, with only 10 employees, the company released its first Veeam Backup & Replication which provided incremental backups built with data deduplication and compression, and image-based replication.
By 2014, Veeam gained more than 1200 employees and was headquartered in Baar, Switzerland, with 17 international offices worldwide, including regional headquarters for EMEA in Paris, France, the Americas in Columbus, Ohio, the Middle East in Dubai and Asia-Pacific in Sydney, Australia.
- Veeam Backup & Replication - a data backup and disaster recovery software for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines.
- Veeam Backup & Replication Cloud Edition – provides the same functionality as Veeam Backup & Replication but with the added capability of archiving backups to cloud storages such as Amazon Glacier, Amazon S3, HP Cloud, Google Storage, OpenStack, Rackspace, Windows Azure, etc.
- Veeam ONE - a monitoring, reporting and capacity planning tool for vSphere and Hyper-V virtual environments.
- Veeam Management Pack – a monitoring and management tool for VMware virtual environments integrated in Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
- Veeam Stencils - a free collection of virtualization-related Microsoft Visio stencils for creating diagrams.
- Veeam Extended Generic Report Library - a free set of health and performance analysis reports that complements Microsoft Generic Report Library.
- Veeam Backup Essentials – a bundle consisting of Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam ONE designed for small virtual environments with up to 6 CPU sockets.
- Veeam Backup Management Suite - a bundle consisting of Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam ONE designed for large virtual environments with more than 6 CPU sockets.
Veeam has partnership agreements with Cisco, Coraid, Inc., ExaGrid, Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft, Tandberg Data, and VMware.
In July 2013, Veeam announced Insight Venture Partners as a partner and minority shareholder. As part of the agreement, Insight Managing Director, Michael Triplett, joined Veeam’s Board of Directors.
- Veeam nworks Management Pack for VMware allowed users to directly integrate VMware management into Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
- Veeam nworks Smart Plug-In for VMware allowed users to directly integrate VMware management into HP OpenView.
In 2012, both products were renamed to Veeam Management Pack and Veeam Smart Plug-In, omitting the word "nworks".
Awards and honors
Veeam was awarded at such annual contests as InfoWorld, TechEd, TechTarget, VMworld and Windows IT Pro.
Ratmir Timashev was named one of the top 25 innovators of 2013 by CRN Magazine.
In 2013, Veeam was included as one of the "Visionaries" in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software.
- Rogers, Bruce (7 January 2014). "Is Veeam The Next $Billion Virtualization and Cloud Software Company?". Forbes.
- Mellor, Chris (23 May 2013). "Backup bods Veeam quietly gobbling up ever-greater market share". The Register.
- "Aelita buyout closes". Columbus Business First. 18 March 2004.
- RUSLI, EVELYN M. (2 July 2012). "Dell Acquires Quest". The New York Times.
- Dubie, Denise (5 September 2007). "Veeam takes on virtual management". Network World.
- "Partners Solutions Catalog". Cisco.
- "List of Technology Partners". Coraid, Inc.
- "List of Technology Partners". Exagrid.
- "HP Partner directory". Hewlett-Packard.
- "Microsoft Partner Directory". Microsoft.
- "Software Partners". Tandberg Data.
- "VMware Partner Catalog". VMware.
- "Insight Team. Michael Triplett Bio". Insight Venture Partners.
- Dubie, Denise (24 June 2008). "Virtual server management marriage: Veeam acquires Nworks". Network World.
- Bent, Kristin (29 October 2013). "The Top 25 Innovators Of 2013". CRN Magazine.
- Russell, Dave; Rinnen, Pushan (5 June 2013). "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software". Gartner.