Vehicle Information and Communication System
It can be compared with the European TMC technology.
It can be transmitted using:
- Microwaves in the ISM band.
- FM, similar to Radio Data System (RDS) or Data Radio Channel (DARC).
It is an application of ITS.
The VICS information can be displayed on the car navigation unit at 3 levels:
- Level-1: Simple text data
- Level-2: In form of simple diagrams
- Level-3: Data superimposed on the map displayed on navigation unit (e.g., traffic congestion data)
Some advanced navigation units might utilize this data for route calculation (e.g., choosing a route to avoid congestion) or the driver might use his own discretion while using this information.