Vehicle registration plates of Switzerland
||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Swiss car number plates consist of a two letter code for the canton followed by up to 6 numerical digits. The rear plates also contain small shields representing the flags of Switzerland and the canton. For official vehicles, the two letter code is replaced by a one letter code, A, P or M, meaning respectively Federal Administration, Public Authorities (such as Railroads) or Postal Service, and Military. There is also a 2-letter abbreviation for each canton. The front numberplate is a smaller version with the same code as the rear.
- AG= Aargau
- AI= Appenzell Innerrhoden
- AR= Appenzell Ausserrhoden
- BE= Bern
- BL= Basel-Landschaft
- BS= Basel-Stadt
- FR= Fribourg
- GE= Geneva
- GL= Glarus
- GR= Graubünden
- JU= Jura
- LU= Lucerne
- NE= Neuchâtel
- NW= Nidwalden
- OW= Obwalden
- SG= St. Gallen
- SH= Schaffhausen
- SO= Solothurn
- SZ= Schwyz
- TG= Thurgau
- TI= Ticino and Campione d'Italia (Italy)
- UR= Uri
- VD= Vaud
- VS= Valais
- ZG= Zug
- ZH= Zürich
In most cantons, it is possible to find license plates with the same number in different colors. The colors are different kinds of use or vehicle types.
«Blue» Utility vehicle
«Brown» except vehicles
«Yellow» Small motorcycles and light motor vehicles
«Green» agricultural vehicles
«White» Motor vehicles, motorcycles, small-and three-wheeled vehicles, trailers and Motoreinachser
«Black» Military vehicles (instead of the two-letter abbreviation Canton is "M +" for "military", missing the cantonal shield)
Special uses 
"U" Dealer plate (company, cape shield), commonly most "garage number" called
"V" Rental car (no longer in use)
"Z" Import plate (limited valid)
Only official car dealer / car repair companys could use the "U" plates. Usulay they use this plate only for a few days on one vehicle. This "U" plate can be used on trucks and cars no mather what enginepower or polution rat the vehicle has. The plate can be placed on the standart place for car plates on the vehicle, but it is also possible to fix it with a magnetic device on the hood and on the vehicles backside (for eg below of the backwindwo).
Because of a european regulation (identification as a rentet car should be not possible for everyone). the plates with the "V" are no more in use. Today rental cars have (because of the low car insurances taxes) usualy common car plates of the canton VD or canton AI.
Military Vehicles 
Military vehicles ( Vehicles of the Army and government vehicles the Department of Defense), vehicles of the Border Guard, the Customs investigation authorities and armasuisse by road traffic and shipping office of the Army (SVSAA) with military license plates registered (article 28 paragraph 1 VFBF). This flag bears the Swiss coat followed by an "M" (short for "Military") and the number of white characters on a black background. The M numbers are assigned according to vehicle type and procurement tranche and are continuously in sourcing series. e.g. Pz87 (Leopard 2):
- First Series 35 pcs M77101 to M77135
- Second Series 120 pcs M77136 to 77255
- Third Series 225 pcs M77256 to 77480
- Entpannungspanzer 65 69Stk: M78631 to M78699
For each prototypes, the number 0 is used in the first place according to the M, both in vehicles, the input to the Swiss army found (e.g. Entpannungspanzer prototype 65, M0870), as well as in vehicles which are not in series beschaft (e.g. 35mm Kan flab Pz B22L, M0888 and M0889, or M0872 M0898 M0899 tank gun 68 the sign looks like the Vehicle registration plates of Liechtenstein, but which bears the coat of arms prince and the abbreviation "FL".
Deprecated Features Types 
Civilian vehicles of the Federal wore earlier the Swiss coat followed by "A" (short for "Administration") and the number of black characters on a white ground. They wore no cantonal shield. The first digit of the five digit number was for the department to which the vehicle belonged. These codes are no longer used. The official agencies now receive regular Canton flag. The sole exception being the Defense and armasuisse within the VBS, which use the army numbers with Swiss coat and white "M" on a black background.
• A = 1XXXX EDA Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
• A = 2XXXX EDI Federal Department of Home Affairs
• A = 3XXXX FDJP Federal Department of Justice and Police
• A = 4XXXX VBS Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sport
• A = 5XXXX EFD Federal Department of Finance
• A = 6XXXX EVD Federal Department of Economy
• A = 7xxxx DETEC Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communication
• P plates
Postal, Telegraph and Telephone (PTT) and the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) were to 1997/98 part of the federal government, their vehicles, the Swiss coat wore followed by a "P" (short for "Post") and the number of black characters on a white, yellow or blue backgrounds. The Post and SBB remained completely after the independence of the federal authorities and the P-plates were initially continue to use, however, had the vehicles of the telecom sector, the first from January 1998 were partially privatized Swisscom, immediately switch on cantonal license plates.
P • P • 1XXXX to 7xxxx Swiss Post
P • P • 8xxxx to 9xxxx Swiss Federal Railways
All vehicles of Postal and Federal Railways have been to 31 December 2003 converted to normal cantonal signs. Responsible for the issue is the Road Traffic Office in the canton in which the respective agency has its headquarters.
Diplomatic plates 
Vehicles by members of the Diplomatic and Consular Corps and several international organizations enter the location of the embassy or the consulate State issued license plate on the model (Article 84 paragraph 4 and 86 VZV).
- Character "CD" on a green background:
- Official car of the diplomatic missions
- Motor vehicles of members of the diplomatic staff of the missions
- Characters "CC" on a green background:
- Official car, headed by a career consular officials
- Motor vehicles of biometrics
Separate ** suffix "CC" for a maximum of one car every honorary head of post of a consular post, which the Federal Council has given the exequatur. The vehicle pass shall in such cases, the words "approved CC characters."
- Character "CD" on a blue background:
Company car ** permanent missions or other representations to intergovernmental organizations, and motor vehicles of members of the diplomatic staff of the missions
- Official car institutional beneficiaries as intergovernmental organizations, international institutions, secretariats or other established by an international treaty bodies, independent commissions, international courts, tribunals and other international bodies (Article 2 para 1 lit. A, b, i, j, k, l and m are the Host State Act), enjoy the privileges, immunities and facilities, as well as motor vehicles of the highest-ranking officials of the institutional beneficiaries who enjoy diplomatic status in Switzerland.
- Characters "AT" on a green background:
** Vehicles of members of the administrative and technical staff of diplomatic missions.
The characters "CD", "CC" and "AT" are followed by the Canton shortcuts and two numbers separated by a period, of which the second digit indicates the block and sending the first block is a sequence number for the vehicles of this state. The first numbers of the serial number are reserved for the head of the agency or organization and his deputies:
- Media related to License plates of Switzerland at Wikimedia Commons