Vehicle registration plates of the Republic of Macedonia
Macedonian vehicle license plates consist of a two-letter region code, followed by a 4-digit numeric (before 2012 3-digits) and a 2-letter alpha code (e.g. SK 2345 MG). There is a blue field on the left side with the international vehicle registration code for Macedonia - MK.
License numeric code contains combination of four digits (0-9), while two letter alpha code is made of combination of letters using English alphabetical order.
The standard license plate dimensions are 520 × 110 mm. Issuance of current registration plates started from February 20, 2012.
From 1993 to February 20, 2012 the ten existing codes were: BT, GV, KU, OH, PP, SK, SR, ŠT, TE and VE.
On February 20, 2012 in addition to the ten existing codes, seven new codes were introduced: GE, KA, KI, KO, KP, RA and SU.
On March 1, 2013 in addition to the seventeen existing codes, six new codes were introduced: BE, DE, NE, RE, SN and VI.
On September 1, 2013 in addition to the twenty three existing codes, one new code was introduced: VV.
The Macedonian vehicle license plate codes by municipalities in English alphabetical order:
Obsolete licence plate codes
|TV||Titov Veles||Replaced by VE (Veles) when the city in question was renamed.|
The new europlates are criticised from several design experts and the Macedonian public who insist on using hybrid alphabet instead of latinic script (only the common letters for Cyrillic and latinic scripts to be used). They sent a remark to the constitutional court of Macedonia and the decision is yet to be declared. The "MK" code is also disputed for being placed low. Due to the Macedonia naming dispute, Greece follows a standard policy in which Greek border guards cover the letters "MK" on Macedonian car plates with a sticker, in Greek and English, reading: “Recognized by Greece as FYROM” .
- Diplomatic corps plate had black background and plate consists of two numbers indicating the region, two letters CC (for consular corps) or CD (for diplomatic corps) and then numbers.
- Dealer plates had the band of text of region and then "ПРОБА". The bottom group exactly like older Yugoslav plates, but without the star.
- Temporary plates had the first letters "E" and then regional code and then numbers. The color of the font is green.
- Police plates had six numbers in two groups and the font is blue. (rear only)
Partial List of Diplomatic Corps and International Organization Codes
|Code||Country or Organization|
|37||Sovereign Military Order of Malta|
|81||European Agency for Reconstruction|
|94||Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit|
|96||International Monetary Fund|
|100||Council of Europe|
An old SFRY plate from Skopje
- Služben Vesnik na R.M br.107 (2011) (Macedonian)
- http://24vesti.mk/vevchanci-od-septemvri-so-registarski-tablichki-vv (Macedonian)
- Služben Vesnik na R.M br.161 (2012) (Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia) (Macedonian)
- http://www.netpress.com.mk/mk/vest.asp?id=97798&kategorija=1 (Macedonian)
Media related to License plates of the Republic of Macedonia at Wikimedia Commons