||This article is incomplete. (October 2012)|
(as of 2008)
|• Total||2.04 km2 (0.79 sq mi)|
|Elevation||666 m (2,185 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2013)|
|• Density||35/km2 (91/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Châtillon, Courrendlin, Roches (BE)|
|Twin towns||Voeren/Fourons (Belgium)|
Vellerat has an area of 2.04 km2 (0.79 sq mi). Of this area, 0.53 km2 (0.20 sq mi) or 26.0% is used for agricultural purposes, while 1.44 km2 (0.56 sq mi) or 70.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.07 km2 (17 acres) or 3.4% is settled (buildings or roads).
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 2.5% and transportation infrastructure made up 1.0%. Out of the forested land, 66.7% of the total land area is heavily forested and 3.9% is covered with orchards or small clusters of trees. Of the agricultural land, 3.4% is used for growing crops and 13.7% is pastures and 8.3% is used for alpine pastures.
The municipality is located in the Delemont district.
The municipalities of Bourrignon, Châtillon, Courrendlin, Courtételle, Delémont, Develier, Ederswiler, Mettembert, Movelier, Pleigne, Rebeuvelier, Rossemaison and Vellerat are considering a merger on at a date in the future into the new municipality with an, as of 2011[update], undetermined name.
Coat of arms
Vellerat has a population (as of December 2013[update]) of 72. As of 2008[update], 5.8% of the population are resident foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (2000–2010) the population has changed at a rate of 4.3%. Migration accounted for 10%, while births and deaths accounted for -4.3%.
As of 2008[update], the population was 52.1% male and 47.9% female. The population was made up of 36 Swiss men (49.3% of the population) and 2 (2.7%) non-Swiss men. There were 32 Swiss women (43.8%) and 3 (4.1%) non-Swiss women. Of the population in the municipality, 26 or about 39.4% were born in Vellerat and lived there in 2000. There were 17 or 25.8% who were born in the same canton, while 12 or 18.2% were born somewhere else in Switzerland, and 9 or 13.6% were born outside of Switzerland.
As of 2000[update], there were 27 private households in the municipality, and an average of 2.4 persons per household. There were 8 households that consist of only one person and 3 households with five or more people. In 2000[update], a total of 26 apartments (54.2% of the total) were permanently occupied, while 16 apartments (33.3%) were seasonally occupied and 6 apartments (12.5%) were empty. The vacancy rate for the municipality, in 2010[update], was 3.85%.
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SPS which received 56.25% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the CVP (21.88%), the SVP (14.06%) and the FDP (6.25%). In the federal election, a total of 33 votes were cast, and the voter turnout was 58.9%.
As of 2010[update], Vellerat had an unemployment rate of 3.5%. As of 2008[update], there were 4 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 3 businesses involved in this sector. 1 person was employed in the secondary sector and there was 1 business in this sector. 2 people were employed in the tertiary sector, with 1 business in this sector. There were 41 residents of the municipality who were employed in some capacity, of which females made up 34.1% of the workforce.
In 2008[update] the total number of full-time equivalent jobs was 6. The number of jobs in the primary sector was 3, all of which were in agriculture. The number of jobs in the secondary sector was 1, all of which were in manufacturing. The number of jobs in the tertiary sector was 2. In the tertiary sector; 2 or 100.0% were in the information industry, and .
From the 2000 census[update], 43 or 65.2% were Roman Catholic, while 8 or 12.1% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there was 1 individual who belongs to another Christian church. 11 (or about 16.67% of the population) belonged to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 3 individuals (or about 4.55% of the population) did not answer the question.
In Vellerat about 34 or (51.5%) of the population have completed non-mandatory upper secondary education, and 5 or (7.6%) have completed additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the 5 who completed tertiary schooling, 40.0% were Swiss men, 20.0% were Swiss women.
The Canton of Jura school system provides two year of non-obligatory Kindergarten, followed by six years of Primary school. This is followed by three years of obligatory lower Secondary school where the students are separated according to ability and aptitude. Following the lower Secondary students may attend a three or four year optional upper Secondary school followed by some form of Tertiary school or they may enter an apprenticeship.
During the 2009-10 school year, there were no students attending school in Vellerat.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Vellerat in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- "The cantons". Swissworld.org. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (German) accessed 21 December 2011
- Flags of the World.com accessed 22-December-2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Superweb database - Gemeinde Statistics 1981-2008 (German) accessed 19 June 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 22-December-2011
- STAT-TAB Datenwürfel für Thema 40.3 - 2000 (German) accessed 2 February 2011
- Canton Jura Statistics- Population résidante permanente au 1er janvier 2010, canton du Jura et communes (French) accessed 2 March 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB - Datenwürfel für Thema 09.2 - Gebäude und Wohnungen (German) accessed 28 January 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Bevölkerungsentwicklung nach Region, 1850-2000 (German) accessed 29 January 2011
- Conseil des Communes et Regions d'Europe (French) accessed 27 April 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office, Nationalratswahlen 2007: Stärke der Parteien und Wahlbeteiligung, nach Gemeinden/Bezirk/Canton (German) accessed 28 May 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Betriebszählung: Arbeitsstätten nach Gemeinde und NOGA 2008 (Abschnitte), Sektoren 1-3 (German) accessed 28 January 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Statweb (German) accessed 24 June 2010
- EDK/CDIP/IDES (2010). Kantonale Schulstrukturen in der Schweiz und im Fürstentum Liechtenstein / Structures Scolaires Cantonales en Suisse et Dans la Principauté du Liechtenstein (Report). http://edudoc.ch/record/35128/files/Schulsystem_alle.pdf. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vellerat.|